Compendium of Internet Fit Advice

I think the 140+ road stem thing really kicked in when pros started riding production-ish bikes (which really got going when crabon took over). They sized down for lowness and stems got longer. Somewhere in there hoods became the new drops.

also the shift to compact drops atmo.

120mm stem and traditional bars of yesteryear gave more or less the same position as 140mm with compacts does now, from the drops and hoods. the only thing that changes is position from the tops.

[quote=1percenttruck]also the shift to compact drops atmo.

120mm stem and traditional bars of yesteryear gave more or less the same position as 140mm with compacts does now, from the drops and hoods. the only thing that changes is position from the tops.[/quote]

Compact bars are a consumer driven phenomenon which pros have been slow to adopt atmo.

Pros have been riding productionesque frame with long stems for way longer than compact drops have been around.

no way dude, tons of pros on compacts

[quote=tarckeemoon][quote=1percenttruck]also the shift to compact drops atmo.

120mm stem and traditional bars of yesteryear gave more or less the same position as 140mm with compacts does now, from the drops and hoods. the only thing that changes is position from the tops.[/quote]

Compact bars are a consumer driven phenomenon which pros have been slow to adopt atmo.

Pros have been riding productionesque frame with long stems for way longer than compact drops have been around.[/quote]

lol. this post makes me feel how the guy in your avatar looks.

probably the single most dominant bar type, if not a head-to-head runner up with traditional drops.

Lots of pros on ergos, too.

I said pros have been slow to adopt them, not that none are using them.

My point was the long stem phenomenon was happening well before compact bars came on the scene.

Cipo’s bike from the 2002 worlds:

oh im witcha bro, jus sayin hella pros on compacts. anyone not a roleur is prolly on em

I found this interesting. I’m very much a “Gerdemann” style pedaler. I’m taller and less flexible, have fairly weak ankles and glutes, and definitely prefer my saddle lower.

http://kingbikefit.com/cycling-posture-part-ii-pedalling-technique/

Makes me wonder if I could adapt to something else or if it’s worthwhile to experiment. Seems like in my case the short term effect of raising my saddle would be an immediate increase in tenderhole pressure while the muscles I use less get their shit together.

my view is to use the position that allows a proper trunk/leg angle and arm/torso angle and let the pedal stroke sort itself out.

that said, most people i know who self select saddle height are way to high and way to far forward

atmo

[quote=truckdoug]my view is to use the position that allows a proper trunk/leg angle and arm/torso angle and let the pedal stroke sort itself out.

that said, most people i know who self select saddle height are way to high and way to far forward

atmo[/quote]

AYHSMB
although I did move the saddle back to the middle of the rails after that pic. It had slid forward in the stand I think.

kill it with fire

Oh shit

atmo, take internet fit advice and shove it.
35 inch inseam at 5’8.5
i always add the .5 cos sort of short guy complex.
whole canajun family is built the same way.
like this dude:

so basically internet fit advice can smb.

edit: biek after profit from same dude that did all the other GHCX dudes.

175mm cranks helped a lot.
shot of me on the bike cos lol…

How can a 300 pound fatass like myself have a more stretched-out form and more drop? The mind boggles.

I told you guys that ergos are awesome.

cheshire, the setup of your bike looks a lot more sound after pro-fit atmo, but a pic of you riding out of saddle doesn’t really show much.

indeed.

fat dudes should probably not follow the same fit advice given to adapted bodies.

[quote=truckdoug]

atmo[/quote]

this. i was the exact same way in my sw8 fixay days. here’s my whip from '07:

classic hipster tri-street fit. saddle too high and too far forward, bars too deep and too low compared to my flexibility and proportions. but hey, looked sw8 and got babez.

my daily commuter now:

the seat tube angles are ~the same and still a no-setback thomson, so good comparison. flite is all the way back in the rails, the distance from saddle to drops is a bit less (and a ton of core work, weights, flexibility etc. has been done in that 5 year interim), saddle is comparatively lower. still a bit of reach, but my torso length hasn’t changed of course.