Compendium of Internet Fit Advice

would be surprised if she actually needed an old-lady fit, being a strong enough athlete to row at that level

may need shorter cranks to address the knee/saddle relationship, would let her move it back and restore the hip rotation

could also just be a poor match for the saddle

can she ride no-hands to do the Kirk test?

I think she’s got 170’s on there. I can look into trying to find some 165s but that seems short for a road bike. I guess I can tilt it down a tad closer to where it was to let her bend at the hips better so as not to aggravate her back as much, only really an issue because she has a herniated disk. I forgot about the kirk test so i’ll have her give it a whirl

I can’t think of many reasons why a shorter crank would be a bad thing, even on a road bike. Hell, I’m 6’2" and run 170’s on two of my bikes. How tall is she?

Definitely sounds like a pelvic rotation/saddle interaction scenario. Shorter crank would increase setback all else equal, and allow a more open hip angle (main advantage to shorter cranks is getting that hip open and improving power recruitment atmo). Was the saddle comfortable before? If no it sounds like she might be locking into the position on the saddle that is comfortable for her, which might also not be the ideal position in terms of pelvic orientation. It can help to distinguish whether or not it’s a saddle issue by consciously trying to increase anterior pelvic rotation while on the bike. While coasting, stand up over the saddle and just rotate the pelvis as far forward as it’ll go and then try to find a spot on the saddle with that hip orientation.

Tandem stoker is having some fit/comfort complaints:

• bars too wide (but have to clear my bum)
  • not enough reach
  • a bit too claustrophobic (face too close to my back)
    The handlebars are drops with one lever and one stoker peg. She also doesn’t have a well fitting bike to compare with (but doesn’t ride enough for that to be an issue). This could be dumb, but I’m actually thinking that it could be worthwhile trying something like a north road bar for a more upright cruising position, since a there’s no space for a road position? The reach is about 8-9cm shorter than her old ten speed commuter, but I’m not sure how well that even fits. Any advice?

It sounds like you have a nice bubble butt, not stoker fit issues.

Setback seat post for a little extra room? You might need a longer tandumb. Flat bars?

size 30 waist with dat hourglass figure. But actually the bars aren’t super wide, maybe 44cm? I need to measure everything. For now, I’ll jus try tilting the seat back a bit to for sitting further back and on the wider part.

44, for a road bar is super wide

as long as she isn’t huge she should probably be on something closer to 40cm c-c

I’d agree for a single, but I don’t think my hips fit between the drops on a 40cm bar. When searching for stoker handlebar options I found this page: http://www.tandemseast.com/parts/forks.html

56 cm wide bullhorns! Flat brim hat territory there.

You’re not in flat brim territory until you get to 740mm.

Would a longer stoker stem solve some of your ass/hand interference issues? Seems like if you’re ready to put her more upright on a North Road bar, then getting a few cm back on a longer stem wouldn’t be a big thing, right?

Why does my back hurt so badly right now?

I’ve been riding my bike to and from work for the last week for the first time in a while. My lower back was a bit sore the first few days last week, so I lowered my saddle a bit and that went away. Today I rode in with a backpack instead of panniers and my back was a bit stiff at work, but it was bearable.

About halfway home, I stepped off the pedals at a red light and pain just shot up my back.

By the time I got home, I could barely swing my leg over my bike and I had to fight through the back pain to carry my bike into the garage.

Is my saddle still too high for my current strength/fitness/flexibility level?

Also, let stalk really awzm lower back stretches.

Hamstrings most likely.

[quote=deadforkinglast]Why does my back hurt so badly right now?

I’ve been riding my bike to and from work for the last week for the first time in a while. My lower back was a bit sore the first few days last week, so I lowered my saddle a bit and that went away. Today I rode in with a backpack instead of panniers and my back was a bit stiff at work, but it was bearable.

About halfway home, I stepped off the pedals at a red light and pain just shot up my back.

By the time I got home, I could barely swing my leg over my bike and I had to fight through the back pain to carry my bike into the garage.

Is my saddle still too high for my current strength/fitness/flexibility level?

Also, let stalk really awzm lower back stretches.[/quote]

Where are you? I could try and take a look at it and see what’s going on. Potential muscle spasm/injury too, especially if it’s sudden onset.

I’m in SF right now and I’d love to get your opinion, though I don’t know when, exactly. The short term goal is to have a semi-functional back by tomorrow night, at which point I need to drive to LA.

Long-term, I definitely know I need to do more core strength and flexibility work.

sounds like hamstrings

for now, when you stop at a light/coasting whatever stretch it out on the pedal

DFL, send me an email at WC SB. I’ll get you in touch with Gino to take a look at your setup. Maybe you can meet with Pedro? You know, alumni discount and all…maybe get your fit looked at for free and figure out yer issues.

malvarez@sportsbasement.com

Haha not gonna get a fit from pedro. No way, no how. Was thinking of giving Pete a call though. You heard anything about his fits? He and I used to do tons of events together.

Vintage mass produced tandumb? They were nearly all super short in the stoker cockpit. When I changed from the motobecane to the khs the rear ETT increased by 100mm.

More drop will increase reach and move bars away from your ass but head-ass could be a problem. Flat bars and a crazy short stem to push them under your saddle? (25.4 post? 1" stem or 1 1/8" plus shim)

Just email me and BART over to Walnut Creek one of these days. We’ve had to redo quite a few Pete fits.

Ari at bespoke was pretty good, recommended to me by mr. bear

Except that my knee blew out like a month after my fit
but he said it was because of my hip alignment issues
aside from that though he was real attentive and used those retul sticker things and even included my TT bike and Road Bike for the price of the single fit

Kinda expensive though

Also maybe instead of lowering saddle you can raise your bars? Would suck to get rid of back pain only to start having knee pain