Confessions: Untrued and unlubed

I’ve made many mistakes, and having more money than I did a couple years ago has only accelerated the mistake making.

I’ll start with 2 recent flubs:

• bought 11sp cassette to put on 9sp freehub
  • Bought cheap hub to save money, bought the wrong freehub so had to buy second hubset
6 Likes

i forgot to lubricate my syringe and blew a seal on some brakes when it went from 0 to 100 real quick.

2 Likes

I’m afraid to buy used MTB parts or things on sale because I don’t know what boost is.

23 Likes

at this point my knowledge of bike component standards probably puts me squarely in the retrogrouch category

9 Likes

I was looking at new jobs and looking at bike companies and then I realized the industry experience I have was basically just fixing flats and changing cables on shit box shit bikes at my buddy’s shop but my expertise came from logging in here

10 Likes

This is me. Other than dyno stuff, my bikes don’t have anything newer than 1980’s bike technology on them. I’m too lazy to learn new things unless I need to. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I took apart my rockshox mtb fork to service it and I think I got the wrong year manual and was also missing a tool or two, when I put it back together it wouldn’t compress at all, so I left it outside in a box along with the frame and forgot about it for a few months so now it’s probably more fucked than it started

7 Likes

I replace chains a whole lot more often than I actually clean them.

14 Likes

Might want to rename this thread “tarck after darck: confessions”

5 Likes

My most technologically advanced bicycle is a rigid 10 speed mountain bike that I ride to the grocery store

6 Likes

giphy

5 Likes

Last time I serviced a fork it involved blasting the lowers with a pressure washer

3 Likes

wait, you’re supposed to clean them?

I thought freehubs were universal until 2 weeks ago

4 Likes

I’m only 75% sure I installed all the parts of my headset in the right order

14 Likes
  • I think cleaning a chain more than running it through rag while backpedaling is a scam.
  • If I have not paid for a fit on a bike I am cursed to forever fiddle with saddle angle and setback.
  • I keep a color coded spreadsheet of all the bike parts in my parts bins + clothing in my closet. My bike specific clothing is nearly double my normie clothing.
4 Likes

I have been ignoring the degrading shifting on my coffee grinder for about a year and just replacing wear parts rather than bothering to retape the bars and replace the cables and housing.

I do have daily access to an ultrasonic so my chains are always clean and properly lubed at least.

4 Likes

i have to look up how to adjust a rear derailleur every time i do it so i just try to barrel adjust my way out of everything

8 Likes

Is an ultrasonic worth using? My father keeps one and I swear his chains always sound dirty as hell.

And is it worth having an ultrasonic cleaner that fits anything bigger than a chain (and maybe cassette?)? I’ve been puzzling over whether to get a little jewelry one or scientific surplus sonicator.