cracked steel frame - how long do I got left?

On another tangent, who buys IROs anymore? When track frames were rare, and you either had to buy an old keirin frame or an IRO, everyone and their brother rode one. Now that there are literally dozens of similar frames available for the same or less money, who is buying these things from this no-name company who doesn’t have any customer service? I can’t be sure, but it seems like their prices have gone done drastically. As I recall, it was like $650 for an Angus no more than a few years ago.

I guess competition meant he could no longer gouge his customer’s for his straight-gauge Taiwanese frames.

Pay a guy at a muffler shop $20 to MIG weld it back together. Keep riding it. Or you could just buy a scrambler.

*awaits pic of tarcker’s coworker’s bike with mass of jb-weld gobbed around that area.

That wasn’t caused by rust, that was caused by over-heating the steel during production.

qft.
send it back. I bet tony will replace it for you.

Email was sent last night, and nothing back yet. We’ll see, but they really don’t owe me anything more than the crash replacement discount. It’s over three years old, and I’ve ridden it pretty hard for those years, and had it powdercoated … I’m definitely looking at a frame with a 5 year warranty for the next one, though.

Iros are decent bikes - the Angus is 631, and even the cheap ones are double butted 4130. My only real complaint is the monstrous logo and the unicrown fork. And they at least used to be known for good customer service, although things don’t seem that way anymore…

my 2 cents, put sticker over it, ride until it breaks, get newer nicer bike

That’s my plan. Going to ride it in an alleycat this weekend and see what happens.

you have to call

u haz 2 cahl

mighty putty

All these welds will be lost
Like tarckers in the rain
Time to die…

lol aweseome.
I just d/led the VHS edition with the voice over. I can see why Ridley Scott hated it.

i’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe…

mighty putty[/quote]

best

Since you asked,

(and it is mighty putty)

[quote=bonechilling]On another tangent, who buys IROs anymore? When track frames were rare, and you either had to buy an old keirin frame or an IRO, everyone and their brother rode one. Now that there are literally dozens of similar frames available for the same or less money, who is buying these things from this no-name company who doesn’t have any customer service? I can’t be sure, but it seems like their prices have gone done drastically. As I recall, it was like $650 for an Angus no more than a few years ago.

I guess competition meant he could no longer gouge his customer’s for his straight-gauge Taiwanese frames.[/quote]
iros are still a better deal than surly framesets atmo.

as stated, angus is 631 and $319…cheapest new 631 frame out there i think.

but yah, iro popularity really gone downhill.

really no need to buy iro when so many other frame out there. also iro was slow/didn’t adapt to market. ppl told tony (when he posted on bikeforums) exactly what they wanted, what to build- a no-name frameset with track geometry and he basically never did it. missed out on golden opportunity. so did kogswell whe he asked for advice on a track frame- i don’t think he ever got around to making it. and missed out.
but iro did respond to customer demand and got straight blade forks rather than the (ever uglier) curved ones he used to have , and by making the angus to satisfy the 1"threaded lovers out there.
also when iro moved from staten island to pa i think beginning of end.

dmg, how long is steerer on angus fork?
i might want to buy it if you want to sell it because i recently discovered the dropout is cracked on my fork.

from http://www.irocycle.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=23 :
"All IRO CYCLE frames are warranted againts defects in welds and materials for two years. This is subject to the judgement of IRO CYCLE Inc. and applies to the original owner of the frame.

“No Matter What” Crash Replacement Policy. Our crash replacements policy is just as it sounds. No Matter what happens to the frame, we will replace it for half of the current retail price.

Please note that you must first Register Your IRO Frame in order to qualify for our crash replacement policy."

my steamroller is cooler than your iro.
jus sayin

The tarcker that burns twice as bright burns for half as long.