Crank Crack Question

Sup guys.
There was a creaking coming from the bb of my tarckbike to I took off the nds crank to tighten the bb and discovered this:

It doesn’t go all the way through or anything but I dunno.
Y’all think it’s safe to ride?

Your kidding?

Ur gunna die.

Kidding aside, there is a article in the new Riv Reader about components failing. It won’t tell you that aren’t gunna die though. Cause you are.

Ur gunna die.

That said, I wouldn’t ride with that thing around on a brakeless tarck bike. It could ruin your BB. Other than that though, I’d probably ride it into the ground.

I couldn’t ride that. I would not be able to stop thinking about a failure and loosing my nuts on the top tube/stem…

Sometime in the VERY near future.

Crack will spread.
Crank will loosen.
Crank will get rounded off.

Fix now or fix next time you ride… whichever. But you wont die.

FTFY

Am I missing something, or does that look like a surface scratch? top right?

The one crank arm I broke made no noise before it cracked (and when it did, it got all floppy - they don’t shatter into a crabon cloud or anything)… if you’ve got brakes and aren’t doing any match sprints, I say go for it. Your spindle will last long after the crank does regardless.

It’s definitly not a surface crack, but the noise was probably from the adjustable cup coming a little loose which has happened before with this bb.(which is italian threaded)
In any case, I found a 170mm arm in my parts bin and threw it on. All is well.

that’s not too different than the crack in my s75 ds crank. what i keep meaning to do with that one is to take a small file, like a jeweler’s file, and file out the part with the crack to keep it from spreading. the crank obviously will not be as good as ever before, but i think would be safe to ride.

might think about this for your crank.

meh it’s an origin 8 cheapo and I had a replacement laying around.

I realize that we have a difficult time getting together and working on bikes, but… I’ve a set of jeweler’s files you can use if there’s ever an opportunity.

I realize that we have a difficult time getting together and working on bikes[/quote]

this is true. i wish it weren’t so, but c’est la vie.

,[quote=halbritt] but… I’ve a set of jeweler’s files you can use if there’s ever an opportunity.[/quote]

cool, thanks! i think i might try to get some of my own because, well, i think it never hurts to have more tools.

If you run a brake you could probably get away with it for a while.

i have to give my, clearly professional, opinion… the bike is ruined. the whole thing has to go. pls send to:
erik lopez
c/o artblur
miami,fl 33134

[quote=ArtBlur]i have to give my, clearly professional, opinion… the bike is ruined. the whole thing has to go. pls send to:
erik lopez
c/o artblur
miami,fl 33134[/quote]
Erik, you would take one look at the condition of the paint on my Olmo and your brain would melt out your ears!

i say paint a giant red swastika next to it. you’ll totally forget about the crack.

probably woulda worked on eriks c’dale too.

[quote=ArtBlur]i have to give my, clearly professional, opinion… the bike is ruined. the whole thing has to go. pls send to:
erik lopez
c/o artblur
miami,fl 33134[/quote]

someday i want my mailing address to just be my name and my city

fyi crack > crank

disagree