Crapbrapping or Pukebacking or Poopbarning

Wow, is that a rear fairing, fender, and storage in one?

looks terrible. glad you managed to have a nice time anyway. who put all that green stuff all over there anyway?

2 Likes

Green equals spring time. Saw my first actual bald horse. This fawn loved having his head rubbed.

6 Likes

Fender is a plus I guess?
Plus rear qube flasher mount.

1 Like

I’ve only just had a chance to look at some of the stats on the RM. This is what I don’t really get. If I was being competitive, I’d rather ride like the guy in 6th than the guy in 1st. Zero hours rest in 2-3 days vs 32 hours rest. 6th place’s actual moving speed is massively faster. 2nd place was a singlespeed…

4 Likes

I respect the persistence predation aspect to it.

I can also respect that maybe the folks who are competitive are enjoying having an event suited to themselves, vs. many other stage race events that have mandatory breaks.

2 Likes

I just can’t stop taking it back to sleep deprivation vs athleticism. It’s the compulsory breaks in early poopbarning in NZ that has almost made it a crazy popular boomer pastime. Great to have options tho.

the synchronizing of schedules from that seems so nice and civilized

“neutralized tea time”

3 Likes

did our mans really crack the top 10?

how big was the field?

i hope some day i can be as “on it” as you are.

3 Likes

I rode with Chris and Neil the whole way. Chris was getting a tad pissy at me and Neil wanting to stop and take more pix so we told him to go for it by himself at lunch-time. Chris finished an hour ahead I think. We cruised in together at 9th/10th. Not a big field. Started with 70 registered. 3 of them DNSed with covids. There is quite a hi DNF rate (in this one) for an NZ event. And very low lady-uptake. They are normally 25-35 % at least. Maybe cos no compulsory downtime? EDIT: See the Sounds 2 Sounds (from earlier this year) for typical female turn-out.

Cripes. Massive number of DNFs. 24 so far in the Renegades Muster. 2 of them top 10 Tour Divide riders.

3 Likes

Forgive me if this diverges a bit, but I’ve now been going back and forth in my mind about where the line is that athleticism stops and Guinness world records begin.

Is athleticism not testing the li.its of physical achievement? Does keeping yourself awake cross beyond that into something like mental achievements?

I’m thinking of stuff like the free diving depth record, which is athletic for sure, but also has elements of the same stuff sleep deprivation is made of. And what about memorizing the digits of pi -a human achievement, but I don’t think counts as athletic.

I’ve seen triathletes and marathoners collapse and have to crawl across the finish line, which feels like it’s coming from a place of suffering and extending their limits but not sure how it relates to sleep deprivation.

1 Like

I hear you, but when these guys are hallucinating so severely. Honestly, Ollie Whalley recorded himself in the first Tour te Waipounamu, so that he would know that what he was thinking and saying was on record. It’s hilarious and the footage is in the movie. Ditto when he won the Tour Divide and broke the record in his first attempt. He said there were a couple of Indians on horseback racing him, but he’s not really sure if it happened or not… Josh Kato (A nurse) “found his limits” with a heart injury in his last serious Tour Divide attempt. There is a great podcast on it if it’s of interest to anyone.

3 Likes

From the Tour Divide last summer, it’s not gruesome but it is heartbreakingly detailed

BOARD OF REVIEW REPORT: Fatality of Leah Davis Lokan from a grizzly bear attack in Ovando, Montana on July 6, 2021

That’s terrible.

Aside from the sadness of this person dying that was very interesting. Ive been reading a chunk of the book “Bear Attacks” every once in a while and there are lots of reports like this.

1 Like

If I felt the breath of a bear on my face ida been moving out and sleeping in the closest toilet block.

It’s very rare for this to occur considering how many human/bear interactions there are annually. But yeah, same.

I did this one night in Idaho on my great divide trip this summer. Solo camping, bear wouldn’t leave my campsite, not too long after Ovando, with the incident fresh in my mind. Lucky for me the toilets were brand new, just laid my mat on the floor and had a cozy sleep.

4 Likes

Good call. I have no shame about sleeping in toilets. Did it last week rather than set up my tent! Nothing can eat kill or bite you here tho, just laziness on my part.

Never slept in the toilets but did have movie night there one night when we got rained out on a climbing trip. We watched whatever the most recent Reel Rock was on a laptop perched between the sinks and it was great.

3 Likes