Cross/Commuter Crankset Suggestions?

This may be a silly question, but I’m building up a cross frame as a commuter/all-weather/most-terrain bike (nothing extreme) but have no idea where to even look for cranks. I’m not looking for something high-end, just decent – like 105 or ultegra level stuff.

Are cross cranks that different from road or MTB except for chainring sizes? A double should be adequate for a non-mountain bike that won’t be seeing a whole many hills, right? It’s going in Spicer cyclocross frame, if that makes any difference.

A compact double?

I think a cx ring set will be a little lower geared then a regular or a compact. You’ll probably be fine with a compact double and just swap out different rings as you see fit.

Something you may want to do, my outer ring is a bash guard and has been really good at keeping my pants from snagging on the inner chain ring. I’ve had zero snags since there are no teeth exposed to latch onto my nice dress pants. Note sure how you dress for work, but a bash guard has worked out surprisingly well.

Well, I need to get a job before I know how I’ll dress but I was thinking something like a 1x9 would probably work fine anyway. That would give me the ability to use a guard of some sort.

Get one of those things to keep the chain on the ring. They mount in place of the front derailer.

Get one of those things to keep the chain on the ring. They mount in place of the front derailer.[/quote]

Chain guide.

Downhill mountain bikers use them on 1x9 setups so they can definitely withstand the rigors of commuting.

Awesome. Still wondering though if there’s a difference – except in chainrings – between cranks advertised as ‘cross’ and those advertised as ‘road’. If not, I’ll just get a set of used Ultegra or something on ebay. I can’t believe how cheap they are.

Cross crank sets come with a different ring set on them.

I love my 1x10 set up on my cross bike.

Yeah, used Ultegra is a great value.

There really is no set of “cross” cranks; it’s such a small market, we’re lucky they’re even making cross bikes, nevermind components. The closest thing to a cross crank is, as the others said, a compact double. Unfortunately, most of the major manufacturers are lagging behind in that category, so if you want one, look towards FSA or the like. I think they’re actually pretty cheap, too.

The Shimano R700 is a very nice compact crank.

[quote=“bonechilling”]
There really is no set of “cross” cranks; it’s such a small market, we’re lucky they’re even making cross bikes, nevermind components. The closest thing to a cross crank is, as the others said, a compact double. Unfortunately, most of the major manufacturers are lagging behind in that category, so if you want one, look towards FSA or the like. I think they’re actually pretty cheap, too.[/quote]

Truvativ is selling a lot of their cranks in Road / Compact / Cross setups. Not necessarily cross specific (although what would be in a crank… its a crank…)

Used Ultegra 6500 seems to be a good deal almost every time. Hell you can get it new these days for like $100.

yeah, go octalink, for cheapness. i wonder if the BBs are going to get hard to find soon, though.

truvativ has some good reasonable cranks for cheap