Cross talk. Talk Amongst Yourselves.

Well, they were fine when I put the bikes on the rack a few hours prior. They just…gave.

^ That’s like the IT bug reports sup gives me… “That blue thing went crazy and it doesn’t work, what do I do?”

I am currently monitoring Marley’s progress to ensure that this happens.

1 Like

Ha, Little Tiny Fish getting famous capturing this video of Katie Compton.

http://www.cxmagazine.com/video-katie-compton-rolls-tubular-puts-on-world-cup-waterloo

Ha, came here to post this. Watching the social Likestream is addictive, yet unsatisfying!

500ft of climbing per lap (unverified source). The uphills were shitty, but some of the downhills were very much “don’t touch the brakes and just hope you don’t die” kind of things.

I “raced” in Waterloo dressed like Uma Thurman in Kill Bill.
Then I got a photo op “killing” Bill Schieken with my plastic sword.
It was a good day.

1 Like

Aw man, I didn’t realize you were there! I found out a lot of people were there after the fact. See you at Jingle?

I’ll be at Jingle.
I have found a new level of complete shit fitness so I’m not sure I’ll toe the line for the race I registered for. I could barely get through a lap without a barf break last weekend.
Maybe I’ll do the speedo thing. But I’ll be around watching and crossguarding.

1 Like

i raced on sunday with a mild cold and now i have more of a cold
but the race was great, they made this course slightly less boring and stupid and now i don’t hate it

Trek CXC was a blast. Probably the most fun I’ve had all year. It’s such a big event that falls right into my central love spot, and I’m so happy I get to experience it in my back yard.

I missed Day 1, but it was super crash-y on the first flyover because it’s so steep and the winds were so high. Lots of kids, women (including my wife), and Cat 4/5s couldn’t make it to the top without getting caught up.

Cat 1/2 raced together followed by Cat 3s, scored separately. Altogether there were 150 people in the race, which resulted in a lot of bottlenecks. Getting/gaining a good starting position was key.

The ground progressed from mud to springy to pretty solid as the days went on, but when it wasn’t dry, it was deceptively sloggy in some areas. I raced Day 2 and found myself towards the back after I crashed pretty badly and unexpectedly on a downhill in the back woods. Jacked my front wheel, which required me bending it back in place when I got home. I ordered a rim to lace over in case it truly bites the dust.

Day 3 went a lot better. My splits were faster, I didn’t crash, and I was able to claw back some places towards the end, which always feels good. My boss move was at the Trek Factory Hill switchback when I was overtaken in one turn, but using more confidence than I had earned I managed to steal back my position in the next turn. The next time I looked back I saw that move had broken his will and dropped the guy. Got to roll into the finish pretty casually after that.

1 Like

I think this counts as cx
did the “Clif Klunker Crit” tonight
drunk 1/4 mile grass track lap behind a brewery here with jumps, whoops, bounce castle obstacle course, flyover
100 registered, 64 qualified for the bracket, at which point #1 got teamed up with #64, #2 and #63, and so on for a team competition
I was coolguy qualifier #64 until I got bumped by three dudes who missed their start by an hour #notbitter
It was pretty fun still considering how many sponsored racerboys showed up (a lot it’s boulder)

That’s shit. I’ve missed call-ups before a race started (which were politely given back to me by the race field), but I can’t think of any other event I’ve done that accommodated that level of shenanigans.

Give 'em a practice lap so they get what they paid for and tell 'em to show up on time next time.

Saw the Jingle Cross course for the first time today (while spending about 4 hours volunteer sweeping the start/finish–ouch). That’s the first time I took one look at a CX course and thought–nope!

Maybe I’ll grow a pair by the weekend, but crikey.

Worse than the montaluce winery? Worse than Elks with 3" of mud?

As a younger man, the more mud the better for me. I think I missed out on Elks but there was the glorious times on Peaches’ farm. I’m just feeling fat and overmatched now.

The initial impression is definitely much harsher than Montaluce. It’s like they took an everyday amateur course and folded half of it up like 45 degrees–Inception style. Today’s races didn’t do the most exposed parts of the vertical part, so maybe the goof-off race tomorrow will be just the back side of Krumpit as well (bad enough but I’ll be in disguise). I registered for the SS race on Sunday but damn.

Kudos to Little Tiny Fish rocking the Roy Orbison look racing in the twilight hours today. It was GREASY.

I got a nice share of heckles wearing my sunglasses at night, but hey no cow shit mud in my eyes (only in my mouth)!

They took us up an alternative run-up (instead of Mt Krumpit) which I think was supposed to be more rideable, but the mud was so greasy it was just a loooong run up to the top. I would have preferred Krumpit. I am utter shit at run-ups, so I lost most of my placings to that feature.

I think we lucked out, though, because the course was a lot drier and a bit more manageable than earlier in the day. Still, I fell a bunch and worked my way back of the races.

Now that the rain has stopped it has given me a false sense of hope that everything will dry out, but we’re gonna get dumped on again tonight.

@littletinyfish You managed Mt. Krumpit like a boss today!

Oh, and here’s one for your collection:

1 Like

That, right there, is art.