Cyclassification

I’m a cyclist? Biker? Pedaler? A guy who rides his bike?
I bike to the store? Ride to the store? No brakes to the store?

I argued with my friends about the proper terminology. You don’t car in a car or plane in a plane, but my brother mentioned Skiers are not called Gliders or Plankists.

When someone says “biker” or “I like biking” it makes me cringe in the same way when someone says “Pop” when they mean “Soda” or saying “I’ll pray for you” when they should fuck off.

Bikers ride motorcycles.
Cyclists ride bicycles.
Pushbikes are for dainty brits.
Pop is for vaguely Swedish-sounding flatlanders.

Eh, I don’t get hung up on it, but it’s not my favorite way to refer to those who choose to ride bicycles. I do hate when people act like saying “cyclist” is a highbrow, elitist thing.

Totally different from people who refer to bikes as “cycles.” I remember when I was a kid, my brother and I got some lecture from some asshole in a shop in Tucson about how we were looking at “not bikes. Cycles.” I didn’t pay any attention to the lecture, since I was too stoked on getting a sweet bike, but I’m proud I was mature enough to recognize him for the douche that he was, even at the age of 9.

[quote=akasnowmaaan]Bikers ride motorcycles.
Cyclists ride bicycles.
Pushbikes are for dainty brits.
Pop is for vaguely Swedish-sounding flatlanders.[/quote]
I definitely don’t mean soda when I say pop. If I meant soda, I would say soda. /midwesterner’s rant.

whats per welinder got to do with this?

I call myself a cyclist, and then I always seem to eventually follow it up by saying that I’m a bike dork. The bike dork thing happens because most people think of “cyclists” as roadies, and I then explain that I’m into all of it.

i think its fine. when’s the last time you came across a real biker, most people with harleys have gold watches and neat little mustaches. i use cyclist but it is a term that you have to be a little more informed to use properly.
it’s like getting mad when people called your fg a fixie and not a track bike when chances are that thing was just a fixie.

I <3 all y’all in here but this is some bf bullshit here

Holy shit I just lol’d hard.

When I ride my bike to work I’m a cyclist. When I smoke weed all day in the summer, I’m a mountain biker. Context.

As someone who survived Texas for a decade, I say it with love.

I’m in the Midwest, but we Fresh Coasters call it soda. When I go back to my parents house in Iowa I can’t bring myself to revert back to pop.

It always seems like people who don’t know what they’re talking about call cyclists “bikers.” “I see bikers running lights all the time.” I never see cyclists referring to themselves as bikers. I don’t even think it’s a conscious effort to avoid being lumped into the motorcycle group. I think it’s just a terrible sounding word in general.

There’s a difference between pop and soda?

didn’t read any of this thread but there are racers, freds, and hipsters

there’s a bit of bleed at the edges but that’s it.

[quote=biekridder]didn’t read any of this thread but there are racers, freds, and hipsters

there’s a bit of bleed at the edges but that’s it.[/quote]

Hipster-racer. That’s me! I bleed the edge, brah.

soda is the adjective, pop is the noun. soda pop. I thought the flatlanders made it sound like “pap.”

[quote=CheshireCat][quote=biekridder]didn’t read any of this thread but there are racers, freds, and hipsters

there’s a bit of bleed at the edges but that’s it.[/quote]

Hipster-racer. That’s me! I bleed the edge, brah.[/quote]

is that, by any chance, similar to gleaming the cube?

if so, count me in

Hipster racing is more like premiuming the rush.

totally a hipster bike racer.