Cycling computer

I sold my old road bike last summer with the computer on it and I’ve been rather enjoying not having one. It was psychologically damaging for me to realize hey, I dropped below 10mph on this climb or geeez I have 20 miles to go before I get home and I feel like ass. I got to the point where I was only setting it to the max speed read-out and maybe checking distance when I got home. Maybe I’ll get another computer some day. A cheapy one was good enough for my purposes.

Can most cyclometers be used offroad or is it too rough for them to last any considerable amount of time?

Good plan.

I had a totally lame Trek one on a 6000 and it never died. Far as I know, it’s still around.

What’ll usually break is the wire, so mount it in a place where it won’t get snagged or squished by branches/suspension/whatever.

i on the other hand dont worry about it and just get a kick out of keeping track of my stats

I have a strada cadence, it’s awesome. I like having cadence as it keeps me honest, spinning where I’d rather be mashing. It’s the wired unit, which is ~$30 from the Internet. Hooking up the sensors from the back wheel and crank is a pain in the ass. I rarely give a damn about speed as it’s variable depending on winds and hills.

Cyclocomputers work just fine off road. Probably the simplest thing I’d recommend is the strada wireless. Cheap and painless.

spend the extra $ for a wireless if you plan on getting the strada. the wired ones have a tendency to suck hard.

anyone use/recommend the knog n.e.r.d. ?

this. i like my computer because i know exactly how many miles i rode

[quote=hellpirate]anyone use/recommend the knog n.e.r.d. ?[/quote]i like it. wish i would have gotten the 12 function, though.