Dammit: Post your bike

Bars were way too wide for my comfort and I was knocking trees left and right. Just cut 2in off each side and will head back out tomorrow.

Feel like leaving spoke protector in place for Tundra riding and shifting likely to get fucked.

3 Likes

Do you know what railroad that was?

1 Like

2 inches off EACH side? Damn. That’s a huge chop.

2 Likes

They still look at least 720 or so, unless I’m looking at the wrong bike.

It’s funny how anything under 760 is viewed the same as these were.

5 Likes

True, but also cutting 2.5 cm off each in one go is a big jump.

That being said, I rode my SC with 800s for one ride before i had to cut them to 765. Killed my back stretching out across those things with my narrow shoulders.

Yea, I don’t have that problem. I’ve got 780 on my hardtail and 760 on the HD3. I really want to drink the 800 kool-aid, but every couple rides I get super close to a tree or rock with the end of the bars and decide to not mess with a good thing. Then I think about going 780 on the HD3 to have a more similar cockpit between the two bikes and can’t bring myself to spend the money on wide carbon for +20mm.

Yo @BicyclePears you need to do something with swiping the picture to the one side because the bars are so wide they don’t fit in a single picture

3 Likes

I was in Commack, NY. Not sure, but further up there was even a spilt in the rail. I never knew it was there. It splits north off the LIRR Ronkonkoma line.

Bars are 660 now, still wider than my full boing bike by a bit. A lot of the trails around here are tree laden and I’ve been used to narrow bars forever (including road biking). I anticipate that I’ll like it. Heading out in an hour or so.

2 Likes

Even 710 jones were too wide for our local loop

he did this with the poppy bars.

1 Like

East Coast here with lots of narrow tree filled trails. When I moved to real wide (Jones bars or normal mtb bars) I got hung up on trees but now I rarely ever hit a tree. You seem to adjust pretty fast.

BUT I’ve run into a height issue with my Jones since I got it, I am a large human ( 6’ 3" ish? with a lot of height in my torso) sitting on the largest Jones which is VERY big and upright on 29+ tires. I have whacked my head really hard on branches and other stuff I would of passed under fine on my other bikes. I almost knocked myself off the bike one day I hit a branch so hard with my helmet.

been a while since I posted the trash chance, full commuter mode for winter, slicks, fenders, dyno front & rear, finally went semi modern with a nw ebay ring, 10s sunrace pie plate, but still friction shifting with suntour thumbies and a 9s gorilla. Somehow it works, and I love it.

14 Likes

I threw some 660 bars on my Fuse when I was trying different setups. It felt soooooo small after riding the 780s I eventually stuck with. Then I think back to the time I put 610s on an old mountain bike like a decade ago and thought “these are stupid why would anyone want bars this wide?”

2 Likes

More than a couple L/R trees that would have been impassable with the wider bars. I have to stop and weave through them. Maybe I could have went to 680-700, but YOLO it’s fine.

relevant to bar width chat: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/handlebar-width-vs-handling-are-your-bars-too-wide.html

This is my experience as well.

1 Like

You gotta lean over on some spots with wide bars.

I am rearranging the garage today, for better bikes in/out, workbench orientation, and 'sups painting area.

Previous Scuderia Jimmythefly:

Today, many iterations later:

4 Likes