Dickaleurs

not with that attitude. got high and walked the dog and i think i might know how i can do this. gonna get some materials and see where this quarantine takes me

2 Likes

After looking for a while at your pics, and not looking at all at my own bag, yes. I bet RaClips is a US rebrand or something.

The grand bois were actually fun to buy because I had to use a Japanese website and google translate, and then i got a cool catalog with my clips (if you like grand boisish stuff). But being able to order them from the usa is great and i don’t know if id have a rando bag without them now.

the real question now is how do i do detents. i have some ideas on how to spend at least as much and waste a ton of time to make a sub par product, but so far i’m stumped on how to add the detents in some crudely shaped bars of nylon that slide against one another

Finally gave up on my XL Swift Ozette’s bottom velcro straps and now living the double-decaleur life. Previously had just the 333fab handlebar mounted decaleur but recently found these KLICKfix Rixen & Kaul Locking Twist Pannier Hooks RKLG801 for the base. Unfortunately they fit 12mm tubing sans spacer and 6mm with spacer so the 10mm tubing on my CycleFab porteur rack was going to rattle. I used some coarse files and snips to cut down the spacer and then glued it in place since friction fit wasn’t very secure. Also it didn’t come with any mounting hardware so picked up some 4mm countersunk head hex bolts from Tacoma Screw and used a 5/16 drill bit to create a countersunk hole so as not to scratch up the rack every time I slid it on. The hooks have a nice positive clicking sound to let you know they’ve engaged. $20 shipped is well worth never having to have this huge bag bounce around on the trail after the weak velcro gives up.
Full Photo Album Here

Imgur
Imgur
Imgur

10 Likes

Every time I see an update in this thread, I know it’s going to be fire

4 Likes

@Master_Stabby

How crafty do you want to get, and do you care about clearance on the tops of the bars for your fingers?

Ultimate cheap is scavenge a couple of blinky light brackets for the bars, and disassemble the light housing to use part of that screwed to your bag for the other half. Viola built in quick release function.

Otherwise I’d go for one of the many Amazon/Ebay/Aliexpress “accessory holder” bracket and tube assemblies. Downsize the tube to something that works with Ortlieb hooks that you mount on the bag side.

1 Like

something that works out of the box with minimal faffing about is pretty much my speed.

For completeness, I think the off-the-shelf decaleur options are the following:

• VO (will eventually break where the spacer is welded to the tube)
  • Berthoud (eventually wiggle loose, but with enough locktite they’re fine)
  • Nitto (for gooseneck stem)
  • Nitto (yikes)
  • Rene Herse (for maximal reenactment)
  • Tanaka (looks like it will shake itself loose immediately)
  • Waxwing Dockit (looks clever, pricy, and I’m unclear how well it stabilizes the bag along all axes)
4 Likes

One more. This is the more refined version of @jimmythefly’s scavenged light brackets. For $40, that seems pretty great. It just doesn’t give much flexibility on the distance between the bar and the bag.

Edit: better link that has info about an extension kit.

2 Likes

I fondled a Dockit, it’s sturdy but you need a solid back plate on your bag.

2 Likes

Huh, that one looks nice, but you have to use ortlieb hooks or something?

Yes. Ortlieb hooks mounted to the bag. Looks like the hooks and rail would set you back another $21.

i really like the ortlieb QL decaleur. super secure, easy on off

1 Like

I can confirm this!

Except when you bolt it on upside down. But I haven’t had to take it off yet.

1 Like

squirrel doubled it up and i want to follow that path. restrap bag has a not great implementation of those fidlock joints

1 Like

My VO works, but I have 2 issues.

1. The extension between the head tube and where it hooks up to the bag is too short, so my bag sits at a jaunty angle
  2. Fit isn’t that tight at bag to decaleur mount, so I have ended up running a velcro strap to tighten it up. It was so rattly it was driving me crazy. Makes the bag a pain in the ass to remove.

*grain of salt time: this is on a Riv, so 1" threaded and aspiring for looks over performance a bit. Eventually I’ll chase the custom rabbithole route

333Fab and Ti Cycles both sold decaleurs, but both look to be no longer available new.

Homie died

Oh shit, RIP Max