Did you just ShartQ?

I use a palmy for my randonneuring lock. In the city I don’t really care if I carry it or one of the 4-pound steel monsters (I have taken the 4-pound steel monsters on 200k’s because I forgot to take it out of the rando bag before I staggered out the door at 6:30, but of all the heavy things I could carry up Mount Hood a lock is possibly one of the least useful.)

I have a full size steel combination u-lock for this exact purpose.

3 Likes

I got one of those Otto lock or whatever

1 Like

I love my cheap aluminum U-lock. It’s the same one as is sold by Panasonic and Sunlite, probably some other brands, too. Looks real enough, even if you could cut it with a butter knife

If I’m just doing a 7-11 stop or someplace my bike is in sight I just use one of these. Master Lock Cable Lock, Set Your Own Combination Bike Lock, 3 ft. Long, Assorted Colors, 4605D https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BD69G0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_SRVGDbDBF1908

1 Like

I think this is basically what I thought I was looking for… Would like something that looks a little beefier but that compromises weight/price, so this might be it

Okay here’s another SQ: is there a spare tire-mount bike rack that’s significantly better than the rest? The Yakima looks nice but all bike racks seem to suck in their own ways so I thought I’d ask here before throwing any money around

If your vehicle has an external spare tire, doesn’t it have a receiver hitch as well?

Ottolock here too. Sometimes I even remember to lock it after cinching it closed.

Yeah, if there’s a hitch, that’s a better option than the spare tire.

My buddy had the Yakima spare tire model, which was passable. His hitch-mounted tray is way better.

I guess I might not be the best judge, though. I still use a wheel-off roof rack.

It wouldn’t be hard to get a hitch but don’t currently have one. 2003 Honda CR-V so the hatch opens to the side as well.

I think what I liked about the spare mount was that I could just leave it on all the time while a hitch-mounted tray would probably come on and off as it gets used. But if the hitch trays are that much better I guess I need to think about it, I’d like to be more encouraged to take bikes on trips.

Ahh. Makes sense.

I think I’d still throw down on a Uhaul hitch and a Hollywood before fooling around with a tire rack

What’s the hotness in intro-level hitch racks then? I think I’d need something that swings but those are unsurprisingly more money

1 Like

tarck-designed, yeah?

1 Like

Saw that one, not sure it tips enough to clear my hatch but otherwise looks good

I’ve got an old style Thule T2 that occasionally goes on supwifes Rav4 which also has side hinges on the rear hatch. It tilts enough to open the hatch w/o bikes. Supwife hates the extra steps of removing/reinstalling the pin to tilt the rack out of the way of the hatch, I’m not a fan of it either.

1 Like

I usually check out the videos on etrailer to get a sense of the actual thing.

fwiw I have a 2 bike Rocky Mounts Monorail and it’s great. Would buy again tomorrow. comes with a cable lock and fits a fat bike out of the box with no adapters.

1 Like