Did you just ShartQ?

Why does my two wheeler look like a four wheeler in need of an alignment?

Please don’t tell me my rear triangle is borked

Should mention that nothing else looks obviously fucky. Wheel is centered, in plane, dishing looks legit, etc. Was just built up not so long ago

Do you ride on the left side of the road?

My track tires would wear like that because of the slope of the banking. If your roads crown to the right, I could see the tire wearing on one side.

oooh good theory but nope, wrong side, I’m on the right

Maybe the entire right bead is not seated correctly

Or you make lots of right turns.

Or the tire was made lopsided

i also have a tire like that. no idea why.

Or your handlebars aren’t centered - I’ve had two where the centering mark was off ~1+cm

You could also be sitting sideways

asymmetrical rim?

i don’t think it’s this but i’ll double check

this tracks with some tightness i’ve been having in my right ass half lately, interesting idea.

nah cr18

I am SUBSCRIBED to this mystery

2 Likes

this is the rear tire looking back? if so it would be consistent w road crown.

yeah, rear looking back.

I’m in US, so I’m on right side. road crown = left side is higher (so wear should be higher on left (nds) if bike is vertical). wear is on ds (see derr cable hoop). unless i’m missing something?

also no visible asym wear on front tire (though it’s a totally different tire (compass) so apples and oranges)

From here it appears to be worn on the non drive side. The right side of the photo

oh wow didn’t catch that, we’re totally looking at two things. you’re looking at the file tread and i’m looking at that wear “band.” I think the file tread wear might be an optical illusions due to lighting (more shadow on the left of the photo because light is coming from the right)

yep i see the disconnect now. I was looking at the most lateral diamonds on the file tread too

Do you ride like this?

Rack arrived yesterday. Went to the local folding bike shop to pick up a Toplight Line + this afternoon.

Expectations exceeded

The proprietor was very disappointed I did not want the Toplight Line + Brake Light model and made sure I knew about the additional safety I was passing up

In stock he had

• every model of B+M light, various SP hubs, additional fancy front dyno lights
  • very fancy Brompton parts including Phil Wood Brompton hubs, various waxed and non waxed canvas Brompton bags, batteries and motors for electric Bromptons, some very long seatposts, etc.
  • Six other brands of non-Brompton folding bikes, one of which looked very spacey, had tiny tiny (100mm? 80mm?) disc brakes, and (I was told) is constructed of injection molded magnesium (cool!)
  • a large selection of bikepacking seat bags - do folding bike people like these?
  • the entire MKS pedal catalogue
  • no garmins, but plenty of ye olde wireless cyclocomputers
  • those nude beach locks that bolt to your seatstays and grab the rear wheel around the rim
  • This bike with tiny Brompton fenders which I very much liked except for the orange head tube
  • not just timekeeping headset top caps, but also thermometer headset top caps!

The showroom and mechanic area combined was maybe 10x30 or 10x40? Compact bikes, compact shop

The owner claimed to have won “best bike shop in Boulder” and it was a very nice shop but I don’t see how he could have the # of customers to support that.

The shop is right between a regional chain pizza place and the only adult store in town

It is open six hours a day, five days a week.

I can walk there from work

I will definitely go back next time I need German lights

7 Likes

I’m not sure - I’d expect the tire to deform on the slope, rolling the tire to the left of the rim and causing more wear on the right.

My best guess
is that one half of the tire mold was very slightly smaller than the other side
you are right at the point where it is noticeable
and in 300 miles it will look symmetric again
I think this because the change is very sudden right at the tire centerline

2 Likes

i will report back in 300 miles

Freedom Folding Bikes?