Did you just ShartQ?

I always thought people wore big messenger bags for agility in touring

3 Likes

fork leg rarely hits the ground hard, but I’ve gouged the fuck out of qr levers enough times to assume that there’s a good chance of catching an edge of a bag

I like the idea of a big spring that’s latched with like 30lbs of force. I start to crash and SPROING my bags blast off like reactive armor on a tank

2 Likes

I want a button-activated luggage ejection system. Imagine the possibilities. Pull into your campsite? Hit the button and instantly drop all your bags. See a nice kicker ahead on the trail? Drop your bags and send it. Being chased by bad guys? They’ll never catch you if they have to dodge a clutch of expensive bike-packing gear!

4 Likes

I think sideimpact airbags mounted fore/aft on each fork leg are a more practical idea.

Just imagine how neat this would be on your fork. Bonus swift water protection as well.

5 Likes

folks, this is innovation at work

why not bag ejection with airbags and parachute. I’m going to the hospital, my luggage is living out the Montgolfier brothers’ dreams

8 Likes

how much high-pressure helium would you need to inflate a balloon that can suspend an adult human in <2s?

3 Likes

and at what pressurization would you be able to fit a vessel of it into a Carradice saddlebag. Great way to drop out of a group ride. “Farewell, gents! the trade winds call, and I must answer!”

3 Likes

I saw someone wearing one of these in Norway!
My wife was actually the one that saw it first

2 Likes

Show terra firma who’s the boss

2 Likes

Having done exactly this, no fork damage. Further context: had my aeropress in a dry bag mounted to the fork and the hard edge got caught in the wheel. Anything cage was totally mangled and I had to fashion the bag into a backpack, fork was no worse for wear. Cages were mounted using a combo of ortlieb mounts (which I wouldn’t use again) and one directly into the fork at mid-mount. Currently using King USB mounts which feel much more secure, but haven’t crashed with them all loaded up.

2 Likes

I come across these almost daily now.

The fancy bike shops started selling them (Brompton and eBike dealers) and Berliners are eating them up

1 Like

I hear this comes in especially handy in the mountains

6 Likes

Is cable for dropper posts the same as brake cable?

it’s usually shift cable

2 Likes

Oh hell yeah thanks.

what’s up or not up with that?

1 Like

I was mistaken. They were the tubus fork mount adaptors, pictured below. No adjustment for tube shape/size, and they felt like if I tightened them too much, would crush the fork legs, especially as the lower fork leg is tapered.

sounds like someone needs a steel fork!

I mean not me I just bought a Spork

I do kinda wonder about the wisdom of compression mounts on carbon fork legs. I’ve done it for fenders before, but it always kinda sketched me out.

1 Like

It’s already steel! Mostly me regretting not ordering the form with 3-pack mounts brazed on. But seriously, those tubus mounts seemed dangerous, if the shape and taper don’t match the clamps exactly. The King USB mounts feel way way better

1 Like

Don’t think they’re designed with bikepacking in mind. More likely for cyclo touring on a paved bike path along the Danube. That kind of failure is why bike bags for this activity are mostly soft and have velcro attachments.

3 Likes