Does there seem to be a correlation between fixed gear biking and the upper class?

being a well-to-do white person, i resent this thread

All i know is PBR is NOT the cheapest beer and fuck if I’m going to pay 75cents more for it over some other watery lager.

simpler times is cheaper. but you have to buy it before you want to drink it since for some stupid reason trader joe’s doesn’t refrigerate their fucking beer.

sweden sells no prefridged beer.

edit: over 3.5%

The parties at my house run on Simpler Times.

Zombie: You are the whitest of kids. Also I saw your brother yesterday.

[quote=DANGERcolonBEAR]

Zombie: You are the whitest of kids. Also I saw your brother yesterday.[/quote]

I hear he scored a nice tubular HED3 for Hellyer. Classy.

Yea I think I saw him walking around with it. I am jealous.

[quote=TimArchy]“history that every strong rider who messed in the 90s knew about the second they got on bikeforums”

The same thing can be said for loft apartments, living in the inner city, and drinking cheap beer. These are all examples of things that were traditionally the domain of the lower income comunity. Then suburban white kids started buying in in attempt to distance themselves from their middle class upbringing (while maintaining their college educations and credit cards of course). Then you couldn’t find a descent apartment in a bad neighborhood for less than $800 a month. Of course, cheap beer is still cheap. But you can’t be a true PBR fan anymore unless you have a bike themed after it.[/quote]

i don’t see a single thing in either of these wall of texts that prove that cool things are not a product of privilege.[/quote]

My point was that privileged people don’t “create” cool things. They generally appropriate other things (often from non-privileged communities) and simply decide that they are cool. Obviously, what is cool is constantly changing. The only constant is that you must continually change your accessories to maintain your coolness. This lifestyle is much easier to maintain if you have a solid financial backing. Hence, to be cool you must be privileged. It isn’t really about the things you have, it’s about the ability to get those things.

Some times people make cool things. Sometimes those people have money, sometime they do not, and sometimes they are somewhere in the middle.

Oh and sometimes a bunch of idiots get trolled on a forum. :colbert:

yeah what dylan said

theres a big difference between “cool” and “Kewl”. “Cool” is priceless “Kewl” is a product of privilege.

bikes are expensive

to be more specific
i almost left tarckbike back in the day because i started perusing the post your bike thread and i came to the conclusion that i didn’t have the kind of disposable income required to participate in this hobby
now look who’s got a real job and dura ace shit on their bike

I am amazed a dog with googly eyes can type.

so says the dinoplayingdrums dude.

lookout a bear!!

oh god where did these ants come from they are inside my computer

http://antfarmkeyboard.ytmnd.com/

Bikes are expensive, but a lot of the people who ride them generally ride them in areas where its appropriate to. Riding fixed in a city / urban area is just more practical than riding a geared road bike or mountain bike or cruiser or anything else. You can get places on the street at a decent speed, accelerate and stop at any time you need to easily, doesn’t weigh much, there are a ton of legitimate reasons to ride fixed in a college / hipster area.

Correlation? No, there is no correlation. The relationship between socioeconomic status and the hobby of riding fixed-gear bicycles is entirely orthogonal.

Where’s my pie?