Drops

Probably because they have enough of a market share from 25.4/26.0 especially from all the keirin guys and Japanese buying their products…

Probably because they have enough of a market share from 25.4/26.0 especially from all the keirin guys and Japanese buying their products…[/quote]
Don’t forget stupid white people! continues to rock an NJS stem with road drops

After riding B123AA’s for the last 4 weeks, my bullhorns feel so foreign to me.

So I came up on some Deda Pistas recently and tried riding them on the street for a couple days. It sucked! I have no idea how people ride track drops on the road.

Things are much easier when you’re stupid. You don’t have to think about stuff like comfort and practicality.

Eh. In the city I’m on my bike for 5-10 miles at the longest until I’m getting off and stopping somewhere where I need to be. I don’t know what it is but I have no comfort issues with B123AA’s or Deda Pistas. Maybe it’s because I use just about every possible hand position there is on them as opposed to just hugging the stem? Maybe it has to do with the size of my hands or the fit of my bike? Maybe it’s because I typically ride fast in the city and track drops are no fun if you cruise slow and have more weight on your hands/seat as opposed to pedals? I don’t know. I actually regretted taking off my drops to put horns on to race an alleycat this weekend because I probably would have cut through some headwinds a lot nicer with the drops.

I mean on long rides it’s fully understandable. I don’t even do long rides on my track bike/bullhorn setup anymore because the CX bike with slacker geo./road drops w/ hoods is so much more comfy and easier to put long miles into. Hell, I don’t like to do long rides without padded gloves or chamois either.

P.S. I was gonna sit out of this one until homie crushkilldestroy decided to sprinkle in a few ad hominems.

Track drops are stupid off the track, no matter how you put it. They are made for one thing, and one thing only: sprinting. But if you sprint all day, then I guess you’re ok.

Track bikes are stupid off the track, no matter how you put it. They are made for one thing, and one thing only: sprinting. But if you sprint all day…

Touché my friend.

Sorry, but this :colbert:

Yeah ad hominems are great, huh.

[quote=“trackatino”]Eh. In the city I’m on my bike for 5-10 miles at the longest until I’m getting off and stopping somewhere where I need to be. I don’t know what it is but I have no comfort issues with B123AA’s or Deda Pistas. Maybe it’s because I use just about every possible hand position there is on them as opposed to just hugging the stem? Maybe it has to do with the size of my hands or the fit of my bike? Maybe it’s because I typically ride fast in the city and track drops are no fun if you cruise slow and have more weight on your hands/seat as opposed to pedals? I don’t know. I actually regretted taking off my drops to put horns on to race an alleycat this weekend because I probably would have cut through some headwinds a lot nicer with the drops.

I mean on long rides it’s fully understandable. I don’t even do long rides on my track bike/bullhorn setup anymore because the CX bike with slacker geo./road drops w/ hoods is so much more comfy and easier to put long miles into. Hell, I don’t like to do long rides without padded gloves or chamois either.

P.S. I was gonna sit out of this one until homie crushkilldestroy decided to sprinkle in a few ad hominems.[/quote]

wouldn’t hugging the stem be the only position where it didn’t matter how deep the drop is?

[quote=“trackatino”]<—stuff that makes sense---->[/quote] Word, when I am in the drops its cool and comfy and all but I usually ride 12-20 miles a day when commuting and the lack of positions just dont cut it. I think my problem may alsobe my saddle to bar drop but I cant fix that until I get my new fork.

I totally agree with you. I enjoy riding fixed, but I hate riding track bikes. And the best bike for actual riding in the city is a geared mountain bike with slicks and a rigid fork.

But that isn’t what we’re talking about. And I clearly wasn’t referencing you. If you’re comfortable on them, great. But I would venture to guess that about 95% of the people riding 38cm track drops on the street aren’t.

it’s not the 38cm width that is so bad. it’s the 16 or 17cm of drop…

oh edit: 17.5cm of drop.

wrong
and
ban

wrong
and
ban[/quote]

You’re wrong. And I don’t like orange.

If you sprint all over the place as you say, then I bet track drops are cool for you. Hell, you could even ride the tops a bit to rest. For 99.9% of the rest of the world, they’re just jackass.

I think people put to much thought into having multiple hand positions. Most mountain bikes only have one position and are ridden all day. Most road riders spend 90% or more of their time in one position (on the hoods) if you can find a bar that fits correctly and pair it with a stem that gives you the right fit,you shouldn’t need more than one or maybe two places to put your hands. A deep drop and a deep stem can be comfortable I personally don’t like having to crane my neck up to see down the street, but I am ok with the back and arm position I get from most track bars. It’s going to be different for every single person. That’s why similar bends are made in different drops.
Most of the problems I see with people using deep track bars on the street come from the bars not being the proper width or the stems being the wrong length.
With all that said a 170mm drop bar is impractical for almost every rider on almost every bike.

this is certainly not true in my case.