Epic Trans-Iowa Blog Posting

this is an honest to goodness wondering of mine: what would happen if you chugged the high-cal drink? you’d puke, yes?

[quote=Red Eyed Vireo][quote=mander]I’m just scared that REV will pedal for 50 straight hours up to my place in BC to kick my ass.

Hey are you the same Vireo who rode that Cream City fixed gear in RAAM?[/quote]

mander- I have a Milwaukee Bicycle Co. but not the Cream City. I took it with me on RAAM 2007 but was unable to ride it. As the days went by we had numerous crew issues (3 crew members went home) and my partner was doing less and less of the load. We were cutting it really close to making the time cutoffs. It became apparent that the Fixed Gear was not going to be used. Eventually when my partner DNF’d I had to finish the last 400 miles solo.

However, I did Furnace Creek 508 on a Fixed Gear later that same year. 508 miles and 35,000 feet of climbing.[/quote]

I’m really enjoying your writeups, and it’s getting me excited about trying out longer distance riding.

Sounds like the making of a good college “drinking” game. I think in most cases you would get the big D. All that sugar in your stomach at one time would be like overdose on Halloween candy. Just my guess.

My rookie year, 2006 Furnace Creek 508, was a nutrition nightmare. I had too big of a breakfast and then was taking in too many calories per hour. By hour 5 or 6 I was a mess. I so nauseous I was loosing precious time pedaling with low effort and many puke stops. Fortunately, I had another 30+ hours to get it right :wink:

[quote=mander][quote=Red Eyed Vireo][quote=mander]I’m just scared that REV will pedal for 50 straight hours up to my place in BC to kick my ass.

Hey are you the same Vireo who rode that Cream City fixed gear in RAAM?[/quote]

mander- I have a Milwaukee Bicycle Co. but not the Cream City. I took it with me on RAAM 2007 but was unable to ride it. As the days went by we had numerous crew issues (3 crew members went home) and my partner was doing less and less of the load. We were cutting it really close to making the time cutoffs. It became apparent that the Fixed Gear was not going to be used. Eventually when my partner DNF’d I had to finish the last 400 miles solo.

However, I did Furnace Creek 508 on a Fixed Gear later that same year. 508 miles and 35,000 feet of climbing.[/quote]

I’m really enjoying your writeups, and it’s getting me excited about trying out longer distance riding.[/quote]

Thank you.

What distances have you been doing and what distances to wish to do next?

You’re a hardcore dude.
Your rides are really impressive.
The part about fighting the sleep demon rang most poinient to me.
I’ve had similar experience when descending from all day rock climbs.
Falling asleep on rappell would not be a good thing.

I can bumble through unsupported centuries no problem, and have done up to 250 km or so. I’m getting better at managing nutrition and hydration, and at “staying on the bike” like you mention on your site. I’m pretty low tech… i eat solid food only and don’t really have a training regime beyond riding hard for a couple of days, then resting, then back to riding hard. I have a 400 km route (a very basic out and back with some climbing) that I’ve been eyeing up and would like to complete that over the summer. Beyond that distance I guess going totally unsupported gets more problematic, right?

I have done three (3) 600km brevets. Two in San Diego and one in San Luis Obispo. I did two of them in a three week period back in 2005. (San Diego and San Luis Obispo). That was really tough I won’t do that again.

For me the hardest brevet of the series (200,300,400,600km) is the 400km . The reason is I try to do it straight through without any significant stops. Significant means anything more than 15 mins to throw down some solid food.

mander- try more liquid fuel. You can keep your intensity higher longer into the event. Once you start eating solids the pace slows down. First because you stopped to buy and have it prepared, then because you have to ride at a digestive pace, and then your blood is needed to power your legs so sometimes the food will sit in your stomach and cause a lot of problems IF the intensity is high. Otherwise, on longer brevets the pace isn’t so high and I eat A LOT of solid foods. LOL!

Also carrying food, other than bars and gels, has never worked for me. I am a light packer and don’t like to carry things I can buy along the way.

Remember all of this is what works for me.

Going totally unsupported is a pain in the ass but it is really rewarding when you complete the ride/race/event.

completely off topic – how do you subscribe to a thread to receive notices when someone has responded? See I just opened the door so you can harass the nOOb.

You should post pictures of your bikes in the Post Your Bike thread.
I’d be curious to see your rides.

[quote=Rusty Piton]You should post pictures of your bikes in the Post Your Bike thread.
I’d be curious to see your rides.[/quote]

It’s much easier if I do this.

best new tarcker.