Executive Assistant Jackass of the Day

That’s why that particular whopper was so funny.

If I would hear something like that I would
:colbert: “honeyyyyy”

This is actually what stood out to me immediately. His knees are going to be so fucked.

Autisimus maximus

[quote=Wintage Townie]Until he was fired last week for gross incompetence, I was working with a 2006-style fixie kid, who ardently insisted that fixed gears were faster than road bikes. He went out on a road ride around Mercer Island with one of the fast guys at work, and he disappeared after the first hill.

Same kid also claimed that, where he was from, in Ft. Collins, Colorado, there were no cyclists, so he and his friends held all the Strava KOMs. In Fort Collins.[/quote]

Boggles my mind when people make claims that, in this day and age, are so immediately verifiable as false, to the point where mid-sentence you could bring up said KOMs and just “no” them.

https://imgur.com/aP5LeaY

[quote=Perlhammered][quote=Wintage Townie]Until he was fired last week for gross incompetence, I was working with a 2006-style fixie kid, who ardently insisted that fixed gears were faster than road bikes. He went out on a road ride around Mercer Island with one of the fast guys at work, and he disappeared after the first hill.

Same kid also claimed that, where he was from, in Ft. Collins, Colorado, there were no cyclists, so he and his friends held all the Strava KOMs. In Fort Collins.[/quote]

Boggles my mind when people make claims that, in this day and age, are so immediately verifiable as false, to the point where mid-sentence you could bring up said KOMs and just “no” them.[/quote]

I would just pull out my phone mid-conversation, open strava in the browser, go to his strava page, and check his KOM list. chances are if he has any KOMs, they’re segments he made up that have no one else on the leaderboard.

those same kind of fixie bros are also the ones who always would claim they raced at the track in portland and i’d be like “that’s weird cuz i’ve been out there every week for the last 5+ years and i’ve literally never seen you…”

My favorite camping joke is about how I’m gonna Leave No Trace those blackberries ever existed

I want to print this out and post it all over town. Fuck burning man and fuck those people. They’re the same people that litter and/or leave things all over retail stores but say “it’s someone job to pick it up”.

one of my least favorite middle school companions – a real prick, even then – has turned out to be a huge burning man person. Goes every year. Got married there. Posts about it all the time. And he is still, by all indications, a huge prick.

I knew a bunch of people in Seattle in 2000-2005 who were pretty into burning man, and some still go. They were the people holding parties, cultural appropriation nights (e.g. belly dancing, fire dancing, pretty much “_____ dancing”), metal shows, urban golf, and in general were pretty exciting to be around. Some were also pricks, some are still pricks, and I’m sure that many have taken their narcissism to other venues. I always enjoyed the week they were gone, but I also enjoyed when they came back because shit got weird again.
TL;DR BM is like PAX or any other big ass thing: it is what you make of it, and there’s irritating people everywhere.

Burning Man has not just gotten bigger, it’s become a mirror for the changing character of the west coast. the quirky iconoclastic trapplings of the west coast is just a shell or a set of lifestyle cues for a new class of technical and financial experts who have largely displaced the wacky artsy west coast (which took up some of the space that was formerly occupied by the blue collar west coast that came up in the Steinbeck/WWII foundries / GI Bill era).
It’s telling that the trappings of groovy new age / countercultural life can be co-opted to the point that it’s a venue where Travis Kalanick can pal around with Grover Norquist and Paris Hilton. I’ve never thought burning man seemed cool, but it’s a hell of a barometer of change in a culturally significant part of the United States.

Fuck yeah dude. I’m living that transition and I’m finding that shit is fucked up, yo.

I’ve spent about thirty of my about forty years on the west coast, and yeah, I have felt steadily more marginal at each turn. Part of that is probably just getting older, but it’s also the underlying economic shift, the steady influx of money from the rest of the world, the total marginalization of anyone not making massive piles of money. I don’t love everything about Richmond VA, but moving here from the Bay Area was like returning to the real world. People have normal jobs, and can live off of what normal jobs pay. You can hold down a minimal-stress day job and have time to make comic books or be in a band, you’re not scrimping to survive on $80k a year.

i mean, the Dead Kennedys may have gotten at this in California Uber Alles, but still, I’m gonna gripe about it too.

Why did I move to Castle Rock wa again? People here are stupid, literally. Was out with my kid and I made some joke that used a couple $5 words and one if the people I was talking with called me a college graduate, like that’s a bad thing. Told her I would have said the same thing when I was in high school. Really though, everyone has Google in their pocket and if you don’t understand fuckin look it up.

My coworker got married there this year.

[quote=iwillbe]I’ve spent about thirty of my about forty years on the west coast, and yeah, I have felt steadily more marginal at each turn. Part of that is probably just getting older, but it’s also the underlying economic shift, the steady influx of money from the rest of the world, the total marginalization of anyone not making massive piles of money. I don’t love everything about Richmond VA, but moving here from the Bay Area was like returning to the real world. People have normal jobs, and can live off of what normal jobs pay. You can hold down a minimal-stress day job and have time to make comic books or be in a band, you’re not scrimping to survive on $80k a year.

i mean, the Dead Kennedys may have gotten at this in California Uber Alles, but still, I’m gonna gripe about it too.[/quote]
I gotta tell ya, I moved here (Seattle) from Atlanta three years ago and the similarities are a little striking. Yeah, houses are a little cheaper there, but I made less money as a teacher there. The only place I could possibly have afforded a house was the burbs and I’d had to have taken another 10k pay cut to work out there or deal with an hour+ commute. It’d have been a lot easier to live there on 80k a year, but I would have needed a PhD and 20 years experience to make that much.

Basically, I make 15k more here and have about the same lifestyle and future prospects. Probably would feel a lot different if I was doing California west coast life.

1. sure, but you’re a transplant, give it ten years of residence to see how things change as you live through the changes. You’re also, from what I associate with your avatar, not raising kids at this point. You can live a somewhat spartan bohemian life in LA/SF/PDX/SEA if you’re living alone or whatever, but it gets damn near impossible to raise a family wthout really scrimping unless you have significant income.

2. Altanta is THE mega-boom city in the South (texas isn’t the south), so I’d expect there are some similar patterns of economic and cultural geography. Altlanta’s layout is basically “Los Angeles, but more car-choked and hellish”, so the commuting and pay cut stuff doesn’t surprise me.

3. My claim is not that the west coast is some magical unicorn zone that’s unlike everything else on earth, just that as a west coast native who’s lived other places, each time I come back to live or visit, it feels sharply less like home and more like a party for very rich people.

Yeah, living in Seattle as a single/DINK was pretty nice. Once my wife and I hit about 35k in annual compensation each around 2012 or so, we were sitting pretty, doing whatever we wanted and never stressing about money. Then we had a kid and my wife stopped working and everything went to shit, financially, even though I saw a pretty huge set of raises over a few years. Now that we’re in Minneapolis, on roughly the same monthly take home (I pay income tax and new health insurance is twice what it was in Seattle), and we will probably be buying a house in a year or two. Keep in mind that there was no trade down in city amenities, and in most cases our quality of life is higher. Never mind the constant feeling of dread that Seattle was far from peak cost of living.

Do you have family in Minneapolis? Having family available to help with my son is the biggest and main reason I haven’t moved.