fast bikes and fat tires

will be putting 40c’s on the uno cross as soon as I finish building the new wheels and get a new fork. Probably won’t be all that fast though.

some of that depends on the fork and brake bridge actually.
a different frame with the same brakes could fit more or less tire…

a different frame with the same brakes could fit more or less tire…[/quote]

…and I’ve been known to use a file to gain more clearance (i.e. on the back of my Cannondale).

…and I’ve been known to use a file to gain more clearance (i.e. on the back of my Cannondale).[/quote]

On the same fork with SRAM brakes I can fit a 28 to a small 32 on campy it’s a 27 max the bridge would clear a 32 easy it comes down to the brake just showing that it’s not all about the frame

28 Contis (really 26-27mm) fit just fine up front on my alpha q. I’ve got almost 2mm of clearance and plenty under an Ultegra brake. Brake bridge on the frame is just too low so I filed it and the brake.

28s fit on my Davidson with plenty of room to spare. Could probably go even a little bigger on my Merckx.

…and I’ve been known to use a file to gain more clearance (i.e. on the back of my Cannondale).[/quote]

On the same fork with SRAM brakes I can fit a 28 to a small 32 on campy it’s a 27 max the bridge would clear a 32 easy it comes down to the brake just showing that it’s not all about the frame[/quote]

swappin brakes may get you a mm or two of clearance but the brake holes are still in the same place.
the frame design is the most important variable in how much clearance frame/fork will have.

yeah kirk and lots of other good builders make their bikes so a 28mm tire will fit even the racier road frames.

the gt i have. a true 28mm tire probably woluldn’t fit under the fork crown or under the arms of the brakes…the axle to crown length on the fork is like 363mm (way short).

one of these days ill try sidepulls on big red as im pretty sure i could almost get a 35 under there. would be pretty sweet!

I can barely fit a 25 on either of my road bikes. There’s about 1mm clearance on both forks, and the road bike clears brake bridge with a little less. Going with 23s next.

I kinda wish I cold fit 28s on the Nishiki.

i doubt you can get a faster bike with bigger tires than this
i can easily fit 28s on the land shark, bet i could squeeze the right 30. but a good 23-25 can feel nice and squishy if you get the pressure right.

[quote=mr. trout]i doubt you can get a faster bike with bigger tires than this
i can easily fit 28s on the land shark, bet i could squeeze the right 30. but a good 23-25 can feel nice and squishy if you get the pressure right.[/quote]

that thing is pretty much exactly what my davidosn. same angles rake clearnces…all that shit.
and mine cost pretty much exactly the same too…

also i do find ~23mm tyire to be enough.
i also prefer the handling at about 57mm trail (where it is with a 23mm tire) over 59mm with a larger tire.

haha u got a rivendell by accident

lol, those shoe covers.

yeah fuck. first its like “shit, riv made a sexy biek der”
then the shoe covers kill the boner.

[quote=zooktruck]yeah fuck. first its like “shit, riv made a sexy biek der”
then the shoe covers kill the boner.[/quote]
For real.

But I want Kojaks so bad…

but better.

[quote=tjayk]i need to take a new photo, but i put 29x1.9" tires on my cx bike recently.

imagine this bike

with these tires

[/quote]

post pics!! Also, what tires are those? I’m in the process of putting on the fattest tires my cx bike can fit.

that davidson is much nicer aesthetically than the roadeo, i think. most of the roadeo setups i’ve seen look pretty terrible.
btw, just moved from squishy 23 vitorria pro3 slick to 25 conti 4 season and wow. firm, absorbent, and fast. perfect tire for the ls.

Absorbent? WTF are we talking about again?