Fast Bikes with Fat Tires

Is this cuz 2020 that @JUGE_FREDD is asking questions about tires. I truly don’t want to live in this world anymore.

8 Likes

@Rusty_Piton is an evangelical g-one user

Yeah, I love both my G-One original flavor and my G-One Speeds in 650x38 and 700x38 respectively.
I’m not really a supple tire connoisseur though. I’ve never used Jan’s tissue tires.

1 Like

I’ve considered Strada USHs but not sure if they have a turdly layer.

What’s the background of this company? My concern is design issues and warranty issues related to new design and new material, coupled to a new, small company.

ATMO if you can fit standard catalog bikes from big name companies and are buying new, using a proven frame design that will have down-the-road warranty support is worth thinking about.

Best I can tell is that they’re a defense contractor / aerospace firm with some interesting magnesium alloys looking for new product avenues.

Looks more promising than the last round of mag frames which were supposedly a Russian money laundering scheme.

1 Like

The G-One speed in that size is pretty good.

VAAST is owned by the same company that owns Niner and Batch Bicycles. the Allite magnesium stuff is the name of the company that helps make the magnesium, which looks like what @drwelby said.

1 Like

asking about the G-Ones for a friend

I gave her my hoarded 650b x 50mm G-One Speeds and she got lots of glass cuts in the rear, they also barely fit the fork crown and she wants to put fenders back on

maybe they’ve beefed up the Speeds somewhat since then?

mostly interested in the actual sizing of the 40mm on i23 rims

Pretty much bang-on 40mm iirc. Was hoping for them to plump out a bit but German precision didn’t allow it.

!DITHER WARNING!

So my dad is still shopping for a bike. He is a 70yo roadie. Always been pure roadie. He’s done CC touring on his carbon Pedalforce (!) with a seatpost rack and panniers. The Pedalforce has been dying for years now, and he needs something new. He’s been talking about doing serious across-USA touring while his body still can. I convinced him to get a bike with zits so he can actually attach packs to it. He’s a size 58-60ish

Here’s what I’m sort of liking:
Giant Revolt Advanced 0- 71HTA, carbon wheels, GRX 810- $3,800

Giant Revolt Advanced 2- comes in purple! GRX 610 $2,500

Trek Checkpoint SL6- 72.3 HTA GRX 810 $3,800
(more roadish geo)

Fuji Jari Carbon 1.1- 72 HTA GRX 810- $2,900
(kinda crazy to consider a Fuji, but it looks like… a bike)

Salsa Warroad Ultegra- 71HTA Ultegra 50/34- $4,100
(not a good value, components say road but geo doesn’t)

Anything else? Anyone have strong opinions? I’m tempted to tell him to get the purple Giant and I’ll buy it off him if he doesn’t like it. Or just tell him to get a full-on road bike and I’ll get the purple Giant and I’ll loan it to him for whatever bike trip may or may not happen.
I’m not seeing too many other roadish bikes with proper luggage zits.

Put a 32 in front on my merckx and decided I didn’t need a new bike

5 Likes

Can he fit on a 61cm Boone? Because I have one complete like new with 11s ultegra di2 that I would sell for much less that some of those mechanial 810/ultegra bikes.

I’d strongly consider bikes with microsuspension for him, given his advanced age. Hell I love it and I’m a 65kg 30-something. Domane, Roubaix, Diverge, or just a redshift stem and flexy seatpost. But it’s a gamechanger if he’s looking to do a trip like that.

6 Likes

Hi Patch!

1 Like

love that the Thudbuster never dies, it just goes to hell and regroups

1 Like

I mean, he rides bike with 25c tires at 100psi right now. Is the microsusbuster 2.0 technology more significant than going to 32c tires tubeless at a normal psi? I got scared out off by Spec’s Roubaix thing that got recalled. It all seems like proprietary bullshit to me, that exists to differentiate slightly, justify premium price tags, and eventually fail and be unsupported by the manufacturer.

1 Like

Ehhh future shock is pretty impressive. The recall is old enough at this point it shouldn’t be an issue. It works, and the bike is comfortable and versatile.