Fenders

I know there has to be about 20 threads already discussing this, but i can’t find them.

I was considering wood vs metal (stainless vs. aluminum).
The one’s i’m looking at right meow are
wood:
hanson bike work
…or some available bamboo ones.

My concerns, are wood fenders strictly for looks or does the flat profile work well at shielding spray enough to spend the money?

metal:
VO 45mm Stainless

these are cheaper, stronger, and will provide good coverage… i also have loved every VO product i’ve purchased

I will spend the money for the wood ones, however, i don’t want to just buy an accessory, i would want my fenders, to well… fend me from puddles and such

anyone have any experience with wood fenders??
WWTBD?

Wood fenders are retarded.
And metal ones are a pain in the ass.
Get Planet Bike fenders and never think about em again.

The VO fenders are great imo. Extra length is very nice, they look good, are light weight. People complain about rattling but plastic ones rattle too if you don’t set them up right.

Edit, I bet the steel ones are not so light weight but they ought to handle lockup pretty well. My aluminum ones are a bit dented and creased after two years, but still very functional.

i’ve had those plastic fenders from planet bike, and i broke them last winter locking my bike.

was hoping to get something a bit more durable

Well don’t get metal fenders unless you want to bend and ding the shit out of them.
If you’re rough enough while locking up to break a PB fender you’ll fuck up metal ones for sure.
I’ve got a pair of SKS cromoplast fenders that have been through hell and seem to be essentially indestructible.

i’m building some fenders pretty soon. thinking they will be brushed aluminum with a nicely finished walnut veneer. they will be for a project in one of my classes.

i have the sks fenders and they work well
but the honjo fenders look better
and i think might actually work a little better too

i just got the berthoud sks collabo fenders, best of both worlds. install easy and with a little ingenuity look good and are on solid. i’m getting another pair for the hillborne once they come back in stock.

i’m happy with my honjo’s.

i installed some of the VO steel 45mm fenders on my gf’s bike. not happy with the fit and they rattle way more than the honjo’s…that might depend on if you have a bolt frot he upper mount in the rear or if you have to use that clamp thing…

whoa, sup snails!

sks.

sks are pretty dope, i grabbed a pair off my father’s touring bike that are at least 25-30 years old- they look and function exactly the same as the ones made today.

Plastic fenders are great, but if you want to try something else, why not. I think they all end up breaking / getting tweaked eventually. I consider them a consumable like pretty much everything else on a bike.

SKS is so much better than Planet Bike it’s like night and day

i like my planet bike fenders a lot. i think they key is to buy the Cascadia fenders.

[quote=snails]i’ve had those plastic fenders from planet bike, and i broke them last winter locking my bike.

was hoping to get something a bit more durable[/quote]

if you’re breaking plastic fenders, it’s probably user error. my dad doesn’t ride much any more, but by his estimates he has 10k+ miles on a pair of bluemels. i have the same 30+ year-old model on my trek 520, works great.

SKS fenders suck ass. PB fenders are so much easier to install and look so much better.

Everything Rusty has said.

PB Cascadia are so good. I’m not going to give you a shit load of reasons why they are my first choice but just trust me and get them.

I guess it is worth know what kind of build you are going with here…

yall are trippin the silver sks p35s are the best looking and functioning fenders around