Fenders

Cheap, heavy, badly maintained fenders on 1970s cruisers isn’t exactly a good comparison to well installed AL or SS fenders. I’ve experienced less rattling overall with metal fenders than plastic. Since you have more control over the installation you can just put rubber or leather washers on every contact point and avoid any future issues. Besides, the ZIPPPP ZIPPPPPPPPPPZIPPPP sound you get when rocks and stuff get sucked through the fender is a sure conversation starter.

I do agree that the Berthoud Composite fenders sound like they’d be a perfect balance. Can you still slightly work them to fit in tight spaces and such? The Berthoud hardware is by far the best of all available options.[/quote]
i feel like these will fold before bending. i just used cork to make it work. it was a pretty easy fit.
they look great too. classier than regular sks, but sportier than straight alum. they kind of have a racing stripe, kinda.

This. If you don’t have to rummage in the spare nuts and bolts drawer then you are not doing it right.

another vote for SKS. They are simple and to the point

this, but throw away that quick disconnect shit.

probably all hte fenders mentioned will be fine.
it all depends on how well you install it.
so take your time and do it right.
yes that means lots of putting on and taking off and bending nad maybe drilling until hte shit is perfect.
ps eventually those leather washers taht VO sells will shrink/compress and your bolts might loosen or your shit will atleast start to rattle.

TC: Miss my old, heavy, Panasonic conversion with full fenders.

question on the sks p35’s
what wheel width you think these will clear?

getting excited for some colder riding.

What you mean?
Tire width?
I’ve got 35c Marathons under mine and they juuuuust fit.
edit: I’ve actually got the p45
so I’d say to you probably nothing bigger than 28s.

sorry, yeah i meant tire width. i’ll probably go with the p45 because i’m content with my 32s

thanks RP

Plastic fenders are where it’s at. I’ve never broken a pair, ever, and I’m pretty good at breaking stuff. Metal fenders are cool, but when they twist, they don’t spring back to their original shape, so fuck that shit.

The largest size the say for the SKS 35 is 28mm tires.

I have the SKS 50. I can fit Big Apples with them on a Surly Crosscheck and they just barely fit. If you can fit big tires on your bike, get the largest size fenders you can get that way you aren’t limited if you want to change tires size later on.

All of this.

it gonna seem like i pullin for metal fender n shit but…my bike gotten some abuse and instead of my honjo’s getting all twisted up and distorted they just dented the few times they took some abuse.
maybe this is coz i got 'em mounted real tough n shit though.

spend the time to mount yr fenders well.
that means lots of taking on and off adjusting, trimming, filing stays and all that shit.

[quote=snails]question on the sks p35’s
what wheel width you think these will clear?

getting excited for some colder riding.[/quote]
backing the 28 sentiment. I got some marathon 28’s in there that barely fit.

I’m going to resurrect this necrothread, just because.

Who has handled the new Planet Bike ALX 27.5 fenders? I know Fred suggested the PB 29er for Elephant use, but I like the idea of a mass-produced 27.5 fender I can order from Q, and I like the ALX road fenders I’ve installed. So what’s the final verdict?

Not me, but I was pretty satisfied with the PB 29er fenders that I had.

Also, seems like VO doesn’t have 650bx25 smooth fenders. Honjos are too expensive. Are there any other options that arent one million pesos? (needs to be smooth metal)

berthoud

Fred was talking about the new ALX jobbers, and it seems that they are kinda heavy plus they don’t have quite the length of VO or other more boutiquey options

regardless, I’m sure they are totally fine functionally and the wide ones are pretty much your only option with something like Switchback Hills (other than the PB 29er fenders)

[took your pic from the dynamo thread]

Are those black VOs? Which width? How much clearance do you have with SBHs? Why are the stays mounted on the lowrider bosses? [sorry for Q-vomit…]