fixed gear conversation ice-breakers

i got a girls number when we stopped to chat about bikes one time.

i feel like an ass because i never called her…

why dident you call her?

it was right before i moved for a job, so maybe when i get back this summer

The other day, I was trackstanding at a corner in front of some serious looking commuter dude, feeling all :bear: and shit when a big gust of wind litterally blows me over and I fall to the ground like a fool. The dude was really nice and we wound up riding along side each other for a while talking about the miriad differences betwees his kickass (and I can’t believe I’m saying this) highbrid and my tarck bike.
His bike was actually totally awesome and had a dinamo front hub and one of those magic internal gear rear hubs and cool rear paniers and fenders and was made by a company I’ve never heard of and looked really expensive.

yeah, that’ll work. “hey, remember me, i met you four months ago…”

yeah, that’ll work. “hey, remember me, i met you four months ago…”[/quote]
Seriously. You blew it with that girl. Neeext.

lol i know

I’m not sure if this would count as a conversation ice breaker, but some dude in an SUV yelled “NEXT TIME I’M RUNNING YOU OVER” to which I responded “FUCK YOU”.

I also had a guy on a sweet vintage bike somewhere in the West Village comment on my bike (a stock Surly). He said it was worth over $2k (he said he could tell because of the head badge) and commented on my Chris King headset (it’s actually a Ritchey). Whatever. It’s nice chatting with random people when just cruising around.

I also had a guy ask me what kind of straps I was using while I was worn out and huffing and puffing up the Wburg bridge.

I’ve gotten “I love your fixie!” when riding downtown, it’s kinda weird.
I usually ask about gear ratio.

Some guy with a funny accent came up to me while I was unlocking the other day and said, “BEAU-tiful BI-cycle!”

Another time an gruff old man came up and said, “Nice rig, kid”

Just yesterday, I went a couple blocks out of my way to chase down a guy in an old fassioned, full sized, military style Hum-v and flip him the bird. He responded in kind, as if he were used to that kind of thing.

When I first moved to Philly, it was late at night/early morning, I was wasted, in a semi-desolate section of south-west, walking my bike (going the wrong way on a one-way), and a man who looked homeless fell into step beside me. He chatted me up about my bike for a few minutes, saying that it looked like “one of those fast racing bikes” and then said:
“I just gotta say… I’m gay, and you tasty.”

To which I replied “Um, thanks, not me” and hopped onto my bike.

I’ve gone to a small shop thats close to here a couple of times… well they are idiots anyways but last time I went in to ask the mechanic to ask for a fork block he says this when he sees my bike

“Yeah For Fixie Dood”

then he proceeded to try and give me a high five.

[quote=“skinnyland”]When I first moved to Philly, it was late at night/early morning, I was wasted, in a semi-desolate section of south-west, walking my bike (going the wrong way on a one-way), and a man who looked homeless fell into step beside me. He chatted me up about my bike for a few minutes, saying that it looked like “one of those fast racing bikes” and then said:
“I just gotta say… I’m gay, and you tasty.”

To which I replied “Um, thanks, not me” and hopped onto my bike.[/quote]
Sooo… did you hit it?

the question on everyone’s mind.

…but on a more serious note, i get alot of “sweeeet fixie, braaaaah!”

i get “nice bike” every single day. its getting old.

its ridiculous at festival-type things. cant go more than 5 minutes without getting stopped but its awesome, and my bike isnt even that great. usually people are like “no gears? no brakes? how!?” and i get to explain the concept of the fixed gear.

or i’ll come out of a place and a dude is inspecting my bike…

i do that too though.

“Where’d you get your risers?”

“How many barspinz was that?”

“Can I rub my dick on your top tube pad?”

“Let’s go grab a PBR and listen to some (insert band here).”

[quote=“TehScientist”]I’ve gone to a small shop thats close to here a couple of times… well they are idiots anyways but last time I went in to ask the mechanic to ask for a fork block he says this when he sees my bike

“Yeah For Fixie Dood”

then he proceeded to try and give me a high five.[/quote]

try being the emphasised word here

I won’t lie, I scream “FIXIEEEEEEEEE” in a falsetto whenever I see a pimp one riding by on the street and I’m not on my bike. Sometimes I get smiles, sometimes I get weird looks. The good with the bad!

On my bike, I always ask people what frames they’re riding, since a lot of people around here like to paint theirs over or have mysteerious road conversions. Or just weird bikes. I saw this woman in her 40s walking a bike with a double top tube and a fat-ass rear hub down the sidewalk, and then I noticed that her pedals were still spinning–and then I noticed that she had a cable going to the back but no rear brake! “…is that a…three speed fixed bike!?”

Never seen one before in my life.

[quote=“room203”]i get “nice bike” every single day. its getting old.

its ridiculous at festival-type things. cant go more than 5 minutes without getting stopped but its awesome, and my bike isnt even that great. usually people are like “no gears? no brakes? how!?” and i get to explain the concept of the fixed gear.

or i’ll come out of a place and a dude is inspecting my bike…
i do that too though.[/quote]

Yeah, when I rode fixed more this would happen a lot around my old 'hood. It’s like having a cute dog or something sometimes. Ugh.

(We’re getting a puppy soon and I’m not looking forward to taking it out in public. “OH WHAT A CUTE DOG CAN I PET IT?!?”, “No, she bites and has all sorts of diseases”. )