fixed gear conversation ice-breakers

iunno if there’s something to describe it but what sorta stuff have people said to you to strike up a conversation about bikes? like total strangers coming up to you or you going up to total strangers but want to talk about bikes?

i often get “hey man what gear ratio are you running”. like at the bike rack i’m locking up and some dude who commutes comes up and we chat until i have to get to class.

or “hey where’d you get that bike?”

yesterday the bus driver was messing around with me with “does that thing have brakes? JK!”

i’m sorry someone move this to OT i’m just super board

the other night i had an SUV pull along side me and asked if i realized i was going 35mph…i said good thing i am not sober

i told a nerdy looking guy on a hybrid on the bike path “gears r 4 queeahs”
then we raced on the bike path and he beat me :confused:

[quote=“biekridder”]i told a nerdy looking guy on a hybrid on the bike path “gears r 4 queeahs”
then we raced on the bike path and he beat me :/[/quote]
Did you say “gears-letter R-numeral 4-queers” in an android voice?

heh this happens to me too. not 35mph though. high 20s. now i want to up my gear but i just bought a new sugino messenger ring. :bear:

[quote=“biekridder”]i told a nerdy looking guy on a hybrid on the bike path “gears r 4 queeahs”
then we raced on the bike path and he beat me :/[/quote]
:bear: :bear:

Those hybrid riders are decieving. They store up all their energy 364 days a year then go out and ride one day so they are super fast that one day they ride.

Kind of like bears. On bikes.

[quote=“NitroPye”]Those hybrid riders are decieving. They store up all their energy 364 days a year then go out and ride one day so they are super fast that one day they ride.

Kind of like bears. On bikes.[/quote]
i’m pretty sure this dude was one of those commuter hybrid wackos who ride their hybrid bike like 365 days a year and are roving on the bike path for fresh meat

my defeat was not very :bear:

[quote=“biekridder”][quote=“NitroPye”]Those hybrid riders are decieving. They store up all their energy 364 days a year then go out and ride one day so they are super fast that one day they ride.

i’m pretty sure this dude was one of those commuter hybrid wackos who ride their hybrid bike like 365 days a year and are roving on the bike path for fresh meat

my defeat was not very :bear:[/quote]

Did he have fenders? "cause the guys who ride their hybrid 356 days a year all have fenders. You gotta watch those guys with fenders, they’ll crush you into the pavement!

I keep getting really old guys recognizing my brooks saddle, and talking to me because of my seat. I need to find a seat that gets hot chicks all excited like leather seats apparently do for old dudes, then I’ll be set.

[quote=“NitroPye”]Those hybrid riders are decieving. They store up all their energy 364 days a year then go out and ride one day so they are super fast that one day they ride.

i have that gift.
it’s called fatspeed.
see, i never run, but about one day a year, i find myself in a situation where i do actually have to run, (crossing a busy street on foot, cops, large groups of drunken frat brah’s etc…) and i have so much stored energy, i’m a blur. a fat blur. :bear:

I suppose all the jiggling may cause a blurring effect, though I’m doubtful of your actual speed.

doubt? doubt you say??!! we have no room for “doubt” on this forum. :colbert:

some guy stopped me on my bike and told me about his 2000 dollar zipp wheelset and asked where he can get a frame

some guy stopped me on my bike and asked for my phone number.
i guess you could call that an icebreaker.

Some dude was in the same bar as me talking about my Amuricah Panasonic conversion (it’s in the post your bike thread if anyone is curious) that was locked up outside. I told him it was mine, and we got to talking. He didn’t know much about bikes.
“What’s that one fixed gear that Bianchi makes,” he asked.
“The Pista,” said I.
“Yeah, the Prista!” He called it the Prista the rest of the night.

Hey there fella, is that a frame pump in your manpris, or are ya just happy ta see me?

There’s a bar around here with a bike rack thats always got bikes when we lock up. There’s usually guys hovering around it that start talking about bikes with you. Usually strike up a conversation with my sister and I about her Maruishi RX-105 12sp. That bike is pretty dope though. I have a rather unimpressive (yet pretty) Kilo TT so I don’t think I’d talk me up about bikes either.

heh this happens to me too. not 35mph though. high 20s. now i want to up my gear but i just bought a new sugino messenger ring. :bear:[/quote]

i was surprised…fish tacos and whiskey for strength