Frame repair

Any frame builders in house?
Is it possible to remove a seat tube from a frame and replace it with a new one. I have this frame in mind with a dented seat tube, pretty bad bad bad (structural) dent but the rest of the frame is fine. I know I have seen toptube and down tubes replaced so I was hoping that it might be possible :slight_smile:

tdhk

yes it is possible

yes! any frame builder you can direct me to?

if it is not a rare/high value frame the repair & repaint would likely cost more than a new frame

meaning: probably don’t bother

:frowning:
that much?!

tdhk

what is the frame in question?

pics: Dammit, I have this thing for Remis.
Is it junk? Waste of time? or Possible Winner!!!
I think I can get a reminton fork for it as well, assuming that changing the steerer tube is an option as well if its too short…

tdhk

price depends on teh builder. one told me 600 to replace teh tube fuck that…another told me 200. paint would be 300. so 500 for paint and tube replaced. any builder could do it look to see if any are local and save on shipping.

I hope you got this bike for free.

if you paid money for that frame you are a total asshat

+1000000

no purchases made. I was trying to price how much it would be to get it repaired and if worth it (meaning not a whole lot) I would go for it.

I figured the cheap route would be to get it repaired, Mikelsen just quoted me 150 to repair and I have a local friend/builder who has not set up shop who might be able to tackle the project.
New decals:80
powder coat: 80
repair: 230 after shipping
fork: 100
total:490?

what do you all think?

tdhk

Unless you spend the time doing it yourself and learning something, I’d give it to somebody else.

I dunno. I don’t think it’s that bad of an idea. You can save $80 by skipping the decals (or make some of your own and have them clear coated on?). If you can get it done somewhat cheap, and if you ‘have a thing for remis’ then you’re the only person who can make the call.

Is the $490 better spent going toward a new frame? That’s personal preference (assuming, of course, that you know that whatever caused that dent did NO other structural damage).

So is it $150 or $280 to repair? Either way, I’d get it fixed. For $150, I’d have it painted, and for $280, I’d just clear-coat the tube and ride it as-is. It’ll look pretty gnarly and Mad Max-ish that way.

do this!

also, where’d you pick up the frame? just curious.

A guy I know cracked a nice old track frame, then put a sleve around the tubing out of another piece of steel and TIG welded the pipe together. It’s held well as a polo frame.

That being said it probably isn’t worth it unless the frame is free. I would imagine after a hit like that the frame isn’t straight eiether so it might not even be able to be repaired.

[quote=“anomaly”]A guy I know cracked a nice old track frame, then put a sleve around the tubing out of another piece of steel and TIG welded the pipe together. It’s held well as a polo frame.

That being said it probably isn’t worth it unless the frame is free. I would imagine after a hit like that the frame isn’t straight eiether so it might not even be able to be repaired.[/quote]
nate, this bike failed again in new york. it is no longer being ridden.

[quote=“tdhk”]no purchases made. I was trying to price how much it would be to get it repaired and if worth it (meaning not a whole lot) I would go for it.

I figured the cheap route would be to get it repaired, Mikelsen just quoted me 150 to repair and I have a local friend/builder who has not set up shop who might be able to tackle the project.
New decals:80
powder coat: 80
repair: 230 after shipping
fork: 100
total:490?

what do you all think?

tdhk[/quote]

It might be worth it if you go the powdercoat/no decals route. I don’t see the point in “restoring” it, especially if you’re throwing an aftermarket fork on it.

if i were you i would find a good builder. have them build a fork for it and replace that seattube. they will check hte frame for alignment and get it straight i’m sure.
get a quote. some might build you a fork to exactly the rake and axle to crown height you need from something like $150…maybe a little more.