Framebuildin'

If it ain’t baroque, don’t flux it.

5 Likes

Using 80/20 is a fine way to do things. This is just a half done jig it seems.

More like 1/4th of a jig. Not having clamping levers and proper slides makes the whole business of adjusting it a pain. That’s why I don’t use the dummy axle standoff these days (a couple of my first frames ended up with fairly wonky rear end geometry that I had to fix by brazing in shims and filing) but freehand it instead.

1 Like

that’s a great photo

1 Like

If anyone wants a cheap 80/20 fork jig I have some parts for one.

What parts do you have?

I built a fixture similar to the Wetmore one minus the blade squaring bit (which isn’t all that necessary).

At the time I ordered parts for it I had an extra piece of extrusion milled down just in case. I actually have a mill now so I could do it myself but at that time I didn’t. I could send someone that piece along with a dummy axle/axle holder so that it could be completed with off the shelf 80/20 parts.

I really do need a whole fork fixture.

I’ve got a massively klunky fork jig (made from a huge piece of steel, so not easily movable for brazing the underside of the crown) so this is something of interest to me. What are you looking at for moneys for those parts?

Maybe $60 shipped? I’d probably do the axle/holder as one piece. I have some material on hand that will work.

3 Likes

Shaped chainstays & seatstays? hardtail, gravel®©™, or just something with generous tire clearance?

hardtail with 3 bend chainstays.

2 Likes

Ohshiiiiiiii son! Long, low and slack geo? You copying something that you know works or putting your own brain to the test?

Modern but for a 130ish fork not a 160. I’ll post geo when I get home. It’s the thing I posted in post 1 of this thread but corrected 430 reach.

1 Like
1 Like

That started as a Pacenti Artisan, yes? You’ve made it look much more delicate and precise.

1 Like

I finally coaxed a picture of my North Carolina frame out of its owner.

8 Likes

Does that stack bring you shame?

It’s owned by a randonneur. It could be much worse than that.

2 Likes