Front Rack for Touring

I love open camping, but I hate being wet/sleeping on wet ground. If I don’t get an awesome hamock, I reckon I’ll just get a one-man bivy tent.
How’s switzerland or wherever, Patch?

Go with the bivy!!! Sweden is nice but cold. I think my large chainring got fucked in shipping but I am too scared to open this box. We should tour this summer. I’m kinda down for some alpage for like 3 weeks or something.
On Belay?

Belay is on.

I love the idea of an awesome hamock for super lightness, but I totally feel that a bivy tent/thermarest is the way to go(in my heart of hearts). A man can dream though, eh?

I have a lot of trouble existing in a bivy that small.
most likely, I’ll bite the weight-bullet and roll with my two man because I love sleaping air.

good call doof.
I’m gonna buy a sleeping bag thermarest and bivvy once the weather gets nice.

Paddy Pallin Sprite is a nice, compact, light one man tent. I’ve been looking for an excuse to get one for ages. Price is about US$150.

that looks like wind would just pass right through it.

The photo doesn’t show the fly so you can see the shape and construction

I fit a bivy and a sleeping bag(and tools and water and my change of clothes and my moccasins) on my front v-o rack for a trip I did a week ago. Luckily it didn’t rain. Sleeping in a bivy when it is anything more than sprinkling I have found to be a nightmare, one man ultralight tents are pretty rad because you could combine them with bivy bag and sleeping pad and get away with all but camping in the coldest conditions, and leave behind one or the others and get away with carrying minimal gear.

One of the things I like about about bike touring as opposed to backpacking is the amount of stuff you can comfortably drag along with you. Also, being on the road rather than the trail means you don’t need to lug food around, if at all.

I don’t know much about bivies or hammocks, but I have this rockin’ tent. With a sleeping bag and thermorest, the total weight’s only about 9 pounds. (or 7 pounds per person if you’re sharing the tent). That still leaves you with a hell of a lot of room in your panniers.

my tent is similar to yours Jacques, except it’s made by REI.
Seems like overkill for one man though.

Maybe, but going on an extended tour, I’d pretty much assume I’m gonna get poured-on at some point. I also hate being wet.

+1. It isn’t really overkill, especially since longer tours you’re gonna be with someone else. That means setting up the tent goes twice as fast, or you don’t set it up at all and sleep under the stars. You also share the weight. Tent sharing on touring is key.

Cool thing about the MSR is that you can set up the rainfly by itself and then attach the inner part after, which is nice for those sudden downpours.

I have a Hennesy Hammock that I like a lot. I find it way more comfortable than sleeping on the ground and you don’t need a sleeping pad. It also sets up in about 2 minutes and is great for stealth camping. It can get a little cold, however. The big trade off is that you don’t have as much covered space. The rain fly provides a fairly good size dry patch under you, but I would miss having the “protected” feeling of a tent over a long ride like you are planning.

Might as well change the title of the thread to “touring setup” or some such. It’s definitely getting interesting.

I always thought a hammock would rock but having to depend on finding two suitable trees seems like a gamble, especially after a long day’s ride when you just want to crash.

Do it.

Just saw this guy’s stuff. It’s more for offroad touring, but I still think it’s cool (and light):

http://carouseldesignworks.com/main.html