Full fenders: SKS vs Planet Bike

What are your experiences with durability, ease of mounting etc?

I have a few sets o’ SKS and am happy with them.

The PB Cascadias look ok.The PBs with the stubby little mudflaps look pretty useless (and ugly).

I have the SKS fenders and my friend has the PB fenders. not really any huge difference, except the PB fenders come with mudflaps and most likely have a much better warranty if something happens, knowing planet bike. The SKS fenders have the advantage of coming in silver and being made in Germany. I’d go with PB if you don’t mind having black fenders or go with SKS if toe overlap is a concern, due to the mudflaps of the PB. Both are an equal pain in the ass to mount.

mounting is identical. Get silver chromoplastics.

SKS Chromoplastics are top-notch.

this thread is relevant to my interests.

anyone have any luck mounting fenders in da front with p-clamps?

my bianchi needs some fenderin’

Should work just fine. If you want something technically more annoying (not by much) but that’ll look nicer, you can get z shaped metal bits and mount from the axle. Seen it on BF.

I’ve had both and went with the PB’s. I’ve found that they function the same, but having silver fenders on a silver bike just kind of bugged me. Been thinking about getting a longer mudflap for the front, but splashes that get past the existing flap don’t really happen that often. Also, I’m usually wet enough by then anyways that a little bit of grime on the shoes doesn’t matter that much. I just don’t want it in my face.

i have a set of sks zip tied to a bike right now, i like them.

[quote=bold]

Should work just fine. If you want something technically more annoying (not by much) but that’ll look nicer, you can get z shaped metal bits and mount from the axle. Seen it on BF.[/quote]

is that a zip tie? how sturdy is it? looks like it could be kinda noisy

I have the planet bike ones. They do exactly what a peice of plastic around my wheel should do. I got the silver cascadia ones though. Would buy again.

I’m a cascadia man. Skinny silver ones on the schwinn and fat white ones on the Misfit. They do me just fine.

[quote=prismism][quote=bold]

Should work just fine. If you want something technically more annoying (not by much) but that’ll look nicer, you can get z shaped metal bits and mount from the axle. Seen it on BF.[/quote]

is that a zip tie? how sturdy is it? looks like it could be kinda noisy[/quote]

Get proper p-clips (they are cheap, anyway). The zip ties will eventually break and the fender mount can end up in the spokes. I have used a zip tie to get home when a bolt rattled out, but I wouldn’t trust it as a permanent solution.

Since they come with every single rack, yet are rarely needed, most shops have more P-clips than they know what to do with. We just give them away.

And most hardware stores sell them for like 25-50 cents apiece if your LBS doesn’t have any for some strange reason.

Planet Bike fenders work well for me, though I really want to try the SKS. I’ve been very impressed by the durability of the PB fenders, though. They’ve taken all kinds of dropping onto concrete and snagging on toe clips, rocks, roots, curbs, etc. and have always come out fine. Plus, PB’s a pretty cool company that donates money to bike activism and shit like that, I believe.

The next set of fenders I buy will be SKS or Honjo, depending on how nice the bike is. This is more out of curiosity than dissatisfaction, though.

I have both and they’re all good man.
I added big rubber mudflaps to the SKS ones.

I think I’ll go sks since I want silver, and the cascadia’s are more money.

i know my SKS fenders cracked after a couple michigan winters during a bit of a spill. i don’t know how PB fenders would hold up during the winter.

Anyone ever use / see the Soma ones? The breakaway feature seems really smart, but I’m sure since they’re made by Soma there will be some weird design flaw or it will permanently smell like farts or something.