GARMIN KR3W

Hahaha… our fleet used to be Piper based. We’d use the Warriors (with “steam gauges”) for your private and instrument training. Then for commercial you’d go to an Arrow (steam) and for multi you’d fly seminoles (also steam) and your CFI would be a combination of warriors, and arrows.

Then UND got a contract to teach all of the cirrus pilots how to fly (you need a special insurance waiver that says you’ve received the necessary training for a high performance aircraft) so a select group of UND instructors went up to Cirrus in duluth, and people would buy planes, they’d fly them to their owners and live the life while giving a weeks worth of training or so.

While this was going on, we crashed our research jet (Cessna Citation II) in alaska while doing some icing system research for sikhorski. Basically… the plane was flying ahead of their new helicopter “looking” for ice for the copter to pick up. So it was in the clouds. They forgot to select the proper mode for the deicing boots or something and blew lots of ice off at once instead of the proper amount and flamed out both engines. They deadsticked it into the bush IN IMC and everyone walked away. Shockingly… the jet was written off. haha.

So we needed a new jet. Cirrus “has” a new jet and they were like… buy this, we were like no it sucks. Went to Cessna and said hey we want another jet. They were like fine, but if you buy a bunch of 172’s we’ll give you a better deal. SO UND was like hell yeah! Stopped buying warriors, and arrows, and started buying 172’s to replace them (The warriors were all avidyne entegra by now). Cirrus found out and was like… well shit, if you aren’t going to buy our planes… fuck that, we’ll cancel the contracts. So they did and a bunch of CFIIs lost their jobs.

Since however, we’ve sold all the cirrus, we’ve sold almost all of the warriors, and all of the arrows are for sale. So for a new student (actually I think 2 years behind me) they’ll fly the 172 for private, instrument, commercial, and then go into the seminole after 2 years of flying a 172 with G1000. They’ll have no 6 pack time, and no complex time, so it’s going to be INSANE for them to catch up to that plane.

But since the 172’s were being used at such a “low level” of training, they opted to ditch the autopilot because they figured students would try and use it too much, or use it when they were soloing.

So now pilots will have roughly 170hrs of C172 time and go into a seminole which is crazy to me.

For our CFI training we do half in the arrow and half in the 172 (that was actually the first time I got to fly the 172) and the G1000 is way diff than avidynes stuff. But now that I’m in CFII its all in the 172. I like the pipers better personally.

That was a long post with no usable cycling info. Hahah… sorry.

How do you know there’s a pilot at the party? Just hang out and they’ll come and tell you they’re a pilot.

lol… pilots.

G1000 is overkill for a 172, anyway. If Cessna weren’t buying 'em all up, maybe they’d have some left over to be STC’d for nicer planes.

I use it.[/quote]

Hmm. I turned it on for a couple of my longer routes and it added a lot of elevation. Not sure it’s too accurate.

Yeah, don’t use it. Edge 500 has a barometric altimeter. Keeps things as accurate as they need to be.

You cannot buy any new airplane without glass anymore iirc. Also… iknorite.

It has added a bit for the first two rides, and today was the first it cut it down like 500ft of about 2000.

fwiw you can get an easy altimeter setting (baro pressure) from any weather site. I’m partial to www.wunderground.com just type in ur zip and it will pop up on the left.

I’m pretty sure the Garmin uses 3d GPS to get barometic corrections for the altimeter following which it simply integrates the best data providing what I expect would be an accurate result or at least it would be if I designed the algorithm and I’m not even in the business.

Other than Garmin Connect and Strava, are there other services others have tried, like ridewithgps.com?

There are others, Strava is pretty much the best.

RWGPS and MMR. I personally like Strava the best if only because I can compare times on segments against friends.

Still waiting for you to do Kings Mountain Road.

This is the precise reason I don’t want to use Strava.

This is the precise reason I don’t want to use Strava.[/quote]

Don’t wanna be tempted by death?

To keep it fresh this winter, I’ve been using ridewithgps.com to map out places to ride, download the tcx file, and place on my Garmin 500. Even though the Garmin 500 does not show the area, it does a pretty good job showing where to turn, etc. I’ve done a few longish rides recently and found it works pretty well. Ridewithgps has some great features for mapping and looking at rides. Here’s an example of a spikey one I’d like to do soon:

I’m unfamiliar with a lot of the neighborhood roads between climbs, so this route should help me find my way and focus on enjoying the self-torture instead of getting lost.

If you’re getting sick of riding the same places, like me, and looking for the motivation to go ride in new places you otherwise have no need, this seems to do the trick. :bear:

Dang. Strava is so much better than GC.

Other than the competitive pricing.