GARMIN KR3W

As I was just posting in the DQ: thread… I just got me a 2004 powertap “used for one winters worth of PT classes” laced to an open pro with all the stuff and a dura-ace cassette for $255 shipped. It’s the wired model… I sort of impulse bought it… 1. What are these going for these days… that seems awfully cheap? and 2. Is the wired version compatible with any form of GPS headuniting? Like to incorporate power and gps? Or what am I into now?

Fucking magnets.

Will be joining this krew soon.
Went in on the 500 coz everyone is doing it, and I wanted more accuracy. eeek.

AYHSMB

[quote=EivlEvo]As I was just posting in the DQ: thread… I just got me a 2004 powertap “used for one winters worth of PT classes” laced to an open pro with all the stuff and a dura-ace cassette for $255 shipped. It’s the wired model… I sort of impulse bought it… 1. What are these going for these days… that seems awfully cheap? and 2. Is the wired version compatible with any form of GPS headuniting? Like to incorporate power and gps? Or what am I into now?

Fucking magnets.[/quote]

Wired unit is not compatible with Garmin, but you can still use it.

What have you guys been getting in terms of battery life? The internal rechargeable is what has turned me off on this. Online it says, “Up to 18 hours.” But, I’ve learned to doubt those guesstimates, and an Edge 500 + eWerk is a bit of change.

It’s not 18 hours. I generally re-charge mine after every 2-3 rides and it’s never been below 80%.

Get it on Thursday, in time for the weekend. Cool beans.

After getting bored with the limited Garmin Connect features, I decided to give Strava a try today:

http://www.strava.com/activities/133260

Strava has some neat features. I should use it more.

Also on Strava:

http://www.strava.com/athletes/smashd

Edge 500 2.4 update out.

Thanks for the heads-up, sweet!

Who’s using elevation correction on their routes?

WTH is elevation correction?

What are Elevation Corrections?
  Elevation Corrections cross reference the horizontal position (latitude/longitude) provided by the GPS with elevation data that has been acquired by professional surveys. When corrections to elevation data are made, each trackpoint of your activity now contains the elevation from the web service, not the elevation provided by your GPS device.
  Garmin Connect selectively applies corrections to depict a more realistic representation of your elevation experience. Activities recorded from devices without a barometric altimeter are enabled with Elevation Corrections by default. Alternatively, activities recorded by devices with a barometric altimeter generally contain accurate elevation data and therefore Elevation Corrections are disabled by default. For those users who are familiar with the MotionBased Gravity service, this is the same service.

In bottom-left on Garmin Connect page.

GPS is fascinating. What is more fascinating to me is the way they are able to “dumb down” the system to function with still the reliability (for cycling at least) that is necessary.

In aviation we use another system to check stuff like terrain elevation called WAAS, and it requires of course a WAAS enabled receiver. But in order for us to get a 3D picture of our aircraft (like with our flight altitude) we would need 5 satellites (or 4 with barometric aiding). If I actually wanted it to be accurate though, I’d need 6 satellites (or 5 with baro aid). But that gets into RAIM and such.

I remember arguing at length with people about GPS’ systems in their phones like what 5? years ago? about how they worked and how totally shitty they were and it just generally relied on the cellular triangulation.

Now we have this. If GPS wasn’t DOD I’d say buy stock in it. (like in the companies that are tied to the industry)… it moves SO FAST. (Like since I started flying in January of 2006… today I can fly approaches that didn’t even exist back then, all with relatively mainstream tech)

fukkinA man.

GPS has been awesome for about a decade now. Also, you know you just punch the airport code into your Garmin, flip on the autopilot, then sit back and drink your coffee.

Also:

[quote=halbritt]GPS has been awesome for about a decade now. Also, you know you just punch the airport code into your Garmin, flip on the autopilot, then sit back and drink your coffee.

Also:

[/quote]

Actually… none of our G1000’s have autopilot. They special ordered them without the ap from cessna. On our avidyne’s though, which have dual 430’s we have autopilot. That’s mostly because it’s in the seminole and it’s a higher workload aircraft.

Why in the hell would you special order a G1000 without autopilot? That’s like the best part.

I use it.