Gear Recommendations (old)

These are the best fitting shorts I’ve ever had.

Looking for a pair of flat mtb shoes in size 15/49. Found the Pearl Izumi jawns but I’ve come up short finding any alternatives.

Edit: Specialized 2FO and 510 Adidas Freeriders also come in 15/49. We’ll see what fits. Bonus: the 2FO come in a TAF colourway.

I have those dynamite panther 2FOs. Hella grippy and bright.

Just ordered a pair this morning, I hope they work out.

So the 2fo flat 1.0 fit really small. Like almost a full size smaller than the 2.0. No dynamite panther for me.
The 2.0 fit just a little small, that might break in to fit just right. Gonna wear them around the house as much as I can this weekend to see if they’ll work as right now they’re pretty much my only option.
Pearl Izumi fit small and are pretty narrow in the toe and forefoot.
Five ten had freeriders listed on their site in size 15 but they canceled the order 3 days after it was placed saying they are out of stock and no longer list anything in 15.

Being tall is difficult. It’s not helping that I’m recovering from a two separate toe injuries on my left foot which is why I’m looking into flats in the first place. I wish I could just ride in my Teva sandals…

Oh shit! Giro has 49 and 50 listed! Time for round two.

what is the name of those chester clone flat pedals?

I think it was “Fooker” and maybe " “Imrider”
Definitely Fooker

are there any flat / SPD combo pedals worth trying
non-shimano
preferably black with pins of some sort?
looking at issi flip 3 and MSW RP-210 on Q
or should I just get shimano pd-t8000

[quote=Lowrey'sOrgan]are there any flat / SPD combo pedals worth trying
non-shimano
preferably black with pins of some sort?
looking at issi flip 3 and MSW RP-210 on Q
or should I just get shimano pd-t8000[/quote]

lol you edited this as I was replying to it, and I was going to say “so you don’t want Shimano even though they make this exact pedal?”

I’ve got ~2500 commuter miles on the pd-t8000s and like them enough to not switch to either dedicated SPDs or flats. I think that’s about as much as you can ask from them. The platform side is grippy enough that I generally only use the SPD side when I’m expecting it to rain or for a tarck century.

The iSSi pedals look like they might be useful as a flat pedal. The only other thing I would recommend would be one of the DH pedals like the HT or Xpedo.

In my experience, the half & half pedals are not very good at either.

what do y’all like for not-fancy warm weather socks? No-show, grey or black, no visible logos, multipack? I found these Saucony ones on amazon

but the Shimano PD-T8000 is legitimately great

[quote=jdsmooth]I think it was “Fooker” and maybe " “Imrider”
Definitely Fooker

[/quote]
I have these branded Eagle Riding, but I wish I had the Fookers.
They’ve been great pedals so far.

I used the T8000s on my mtb the other day, just to try them. Grip was good, but platform felt undersized (I usually ride a larger flat). They do the job nicely on my sick hyrbid.

I clipped into these at REI the other day and they weren’t bad but I’m sure that trying to use them with regular shoes wouldn’t feel as nice as the pedals that are SPD on one side and completely flat on the other.

The saints are also heavy as fuck. They are dh pedals. But they should last through all the rock strikes on your syck hybrid.

1 Like

Is there any such thing as a small handlebar bag for point-and-shoot cameras that is readily accessible on-bike and lightly padded?

Okay who makes bags, this is a product idea: I’m pretty sure this doesn’t exist, but what I would love is what I’d call a camera scabbard. Think of a sheath that mounts to the headtube, angled so that the opening is pointed toward the rider. Camera is inside and can be easily removed for a quick picture. Does that make sense? The bag would have to be stiff so it holds it shape, and have a closing flap that can either be zippered to seal, if necessary in rain, but also has velcro so it can be closed without zippering for rapid access. Obviously the same thing could work for a cell phone.

Positioned like this against the headtube obviously (please note that this is just a lifelike rendition, the product shown does not actually exist):

What you are looking for is a “feedbag” which are conveniently very popular right now among the poop barners so there are lots of choices.

If this is for the jones you can get a bag thats integrated into the Jones loop bar. There appear to be quite a few different brands making them.

[quote=Andrew_Squirrel]What you are looking for is a “feedbag” which are conveniently very popular right now among the poop barners so there are lots of choices.

If this is for the jones you can get a bag thats integrated into the Jones loop bar. There appear to be quite a few different brands making them.

[/quote]

I tried to search for “feedbag poopbarn” and the only link was right back to Tarck. Could you be more specific.

Yes I’m getting the H bag, but a) it interferes with all the good hand positions and b) I want something that will work on all 4 of my bikes.