Gear Recommendations (old)

^By the way I was just kidding–thank you, it just took the right search term!

Edit: So I just looked at them and while they will work they’re nowhere near ideal.

What would you change about the designs you’ve looked at so far so people can help find something more accurate?

Let’s see if I can describe this. Imagine a bag that fits a cell phone snuggly and is mounted on the headtube so that it is angled toward the rider. Now make it big enough to fit the average compact camera and stiff so it is easy to slide the camera in and out. Basically a camera holster.

It would be zippable along the top to protect from rain if necessary, but it would also have a velcro tab on the closure so it can be “casually” closed.

I can hand draw it, but not until later.

Obviously I’m not going to get everything I want unless someone makes it. I’m telling you bagmakers, you will sell 10’s if not dozens of these.

I have a Road Runner Point 'n Shooter stem bag that does most of those things. The drawcord inner-flap combo does a rather good job of keeping things dry. I wouldn’t call it watertight, but I’ve done some very rainy rides with a phone in it that stayed dry inside. I bet you could even angle it towards you with some creative strapping.

Could be made of wetsuit material, I would advise against zippers

Yes that is much closer to what I’m looking for…it’s still not ideal and it looks stapled together but it would work. I want something more holster-y. Neoprene might work. Hey Mig, time to break out the sewing machine/flamethrower for your first product!

i don’t understand why it has to be stiff

the revelate feedbag is large enough to fit my fuji x100 and both opens/closes with the PULL of a cord.

If you have something that is not much larger than an average point-and-shoot, then it has to be stiffish for the camera to slide in and out easily. Like a cell phone holster, but I would orient the closure differently.

I made something like that, here.

[quote=Recumbentist]Let’s see if I can describe this. Imagine a bag that fits a cell phone snuggly and is mounted on the headtube so that it is angled toward the rider. Now make it big enough to fit the average compact camera and stiff so it is easy to slide the camera in and out. Basically a camera holster.

It would be zippable along the top to protect from rain if necessary, but it would also have a velcro tab on the closure so it can be “casually” closed.
[/quote]

I have a Timbuk2 Goody Box in the small size, which mostly fits your description. I can fit 3 bars and a GoPro in it, and tuck a cue sheet in the clear window.

It’s not my favorite thing to have on the top tube; it gets in the way when climbing out of the saddle. The Profile E-Pack seems to be a little more slender, but roughly the same volume. I thought I’d use the window of the Timbuk2 more.

[quote=drwelby]I made something like that, here.

[/quote]

Yes, that’s almost it, maybe with more tilt of the opening toward the rider and a closure that attaches on the short end away from the rider.

Since the vast majority of feed bags clamp to both the stem and the bars, the opening is very easy to access because the attachment points keep everything taut. Once again, I think Revelate has pretty much perfected this in the past year or two. I’d highly recommend trying one before embarking on a mission to reinvent it.

Ferg I made a holster for my contax t2. If I can find it I’ll send you a photo. It seems to be what you’re describing.

Please! I bet that’s about the right shape and size too.

their buckle that goes down to the fork crown is pretty awesome, and they’ve really nailed the inner foam layer that keeps it structured

ferg you should absolutely buy a few of these no matter what: Mountain Feedbag - Cockpit | Revelate Designs LLC

pretty much the highest value bike accessory of the decade

Anybody have thoughts on how the Revelate feedbags compare to the Jandd ones (which are 10$ less apiece)?

If you don’t have any, get the Revelate first

I’ve bought a bunch of others for color coordination and other wackiness, and they’re always a little dissapointing

[quote=JUGE FREDD]If you don’t have any, get the Revelate first

I’ve bought a bunch of others for color coordination and other wackiness, and they’re always a little dissapointing[/quote]
Good to know, thanks. I just noticed Tree Fort Bikes is currently price matching Niagara Cycle on the Revelates for $39 - same price as the Jandd. Think I better jump on a pair.

I just picked up two of the Jandd ones because they were $20 each on-sale. I think they are great value for a sale deal but the Revelate quick-drawcord feature looks like it works significantly better. Wondering if I could just retrofit my Jandd feedbags since I saw a very similar cord toggle at Seattle Fabrics.

Add it to the millions of sewing projects I want to do but probably never will.

[quote=Andrew_Squirrel]I just picked up two of the Jandd ones because they were $20 each on-sale. I think they are great value for a sale deal but the Revelate quick-drawcord feature looks like it works significantly better. Wondering if I could just retrofit my Jandd feedbags since I saw a very similar cord toggle at Seattle Fabrics.

Add it to the millions of sewing projects I want to do but probably never will.[/quote]
I keep thinking I’m going to make a full frame bag for my old mtb, but I have kind of the same problem - too many projects in mind, so I end up doing none of them.

1 Like