get me into a balleur road brakeset

the real question is why tektro stopped making the r538 in black

I read a few reviews that said they were only mediocre as center mount, and were only worth it if you had the special braze-ons…? Were they wrong?[/quote]
My neighbor/friend has them and he’s got them on the post mount. IDK about caliper, but they do look cool. Aspecially when u got Paul parts all over (minus cranks coz ugh boots)

I definitely want to ride a bike with those Paul brakes on post mounts. Seems like they’d be pretty nice.

The center bolt ones work great. Do the post ones work better then great? Sure, but it’s not a deal braker, especially if you want a frame that allows for other options down the road.

[quote=Buffalo Bill]They’re “non-series components” in the Road Bike category, along with stuff like the BR-550 cantilevers and whatnot. Stocked by QBP and I assume most other distributors.

Looks like there’s also a R600 model that’s polished in a different style.[/quote]

Shimano has these weird things, like eight speed bar-end shifters, that they’ll seemingly always produce, even if the market disappears. I’m sure that you, Über-Fred, knows dozens of people who have bought them in the past month, but I’ve been working in shops for nearly a decade and I’ve never sent a pair out the door. Anyway, god bless Shimano for making these oddball components that have to cost a not insignificant amount to make (often in the first world) and probably sell marginally, at best.

Well, damn. Glad to be proven wrong.