Get Me Into A Modern Drivetrain

Im getting veloce from ribble. Split ship with us.

I would go Campagnolo as well… either Veloce or Centaur atmo.

Campy shifting = teh sexxxx. Much prefer to Shimano brifter. But you have to ride it to really form an opinion, preferably for at least 2-3hrs each. Not always so practical, esp. not when you are SOLarge.

Subjectivity. Same thing as people hating Campy because it’s too “noisy” or Shimano because it’s too “quiet” and you can’t hear when you shift as well.

Although I’m not sure if the breaking easily thing comes from QC or just not as high grade of parts. SRAM is definitely the most cross-respected group.

Well, the benefit of any group above 105, Rival or Centaur is weight.

?

if the tiagra is $3xx
and veloce is $4xx
and 105 is $5xx,
get the veloce.

but sol is a cheap weenie, and I am a cheap weenie too, and tho I have 9 speed 105, I do not think 10 speed 105 is worth $200 more than tiagra, for sol’s newbie applications. also, cheaper maintenance (chains, cassettes). I wouldn’t buy used 9 speed shifters on ebay, they’re overpriced compared to new 10 speed stuff.

the tiagra will blow his mind as much as anything else imho. but for $100 more, I’d get the veloce if it’s available.

edit: how’s the exchange rate right now to GBP?

1.59, pretty good.
The dollar is strong right now.
Now that sol has found a bike that fits, hes prolly gonna splurge and get the veloce.
The hoods are so fucking nice.

does tiagra still have those little thumb shifters or have they moved to a proper flight deck?

Tiagra’s had paddles for quite a while now.

i would definitely suggest NEW tiagra. enough of the technology has trickled down to the Tiagra line, to where i think it’s probably perfect for sol or myself…basically anyone that just enjoys riding their bike, doesn’t have a shit ton of money and wants new stuff.

this thread is very reverent to my interests, following closely

?[/quote]
:colbert:
http://www.tarckbike.com/node/14437

[quote=erock]Dura Ace EX group set. Crankset, pedals(in great shape!), brakes, levers w/ blue hoods, front and rear derailleur, downtube shifters. Everything is in good shape. Pictures upon request.
Asking 200.00 for everything. [/quote]

I thought this was newer. But regardless, in my time on tarck I’ve seen 2 rivals go for dirt cheap and other damn good stuff.

isn’t the bradley already set up as 8-spd (read: has a shimano freehub rear wheel)?

so just get 9spd 105 or ultegra (or DA) STIs, cassette, chain?

[quote=toast]isn’t the bradley already set up as 8-spd (read: has a shimano freehub rear wheel)?

so just get 9spd 105 or ultegra (or DA) STIs, cassette, chain?[/quote]

Now that I think about it, I believe you’re right. Mix of 105/DA 8sp with 600 tri-color hubs.

get new rings too.

Well, the benefit of any group above 105, Rival or Centaur is weight.[/quote]
well, and a better/slightly different shifting action

Well, the benefit of any group above 105, Rival or Centaur is weight.[/quote]
well, and a better/slightly different shifting action[/quote]

only if you are talking about campy 11 vs 10 stuff. as far as i know above 105 rival and centaur you’re looking at the same shifting method.

i meant that durace shifts slightly different than ultegra, ultegra a lil differnt than 105 and so with the other manufacturers

higher end groups will shift a bit more precise, etc than a lower end group from the same maker

i remember in the days of ultegra/dura ace 9 speed, many actually preferred the shifting action of ultegra vs. dura ace. the ace shifted a little “lighter”, if that makes any sense.

also the lower strata groups are probably more durable too.

Microshift!!!

I can’t tell the difference between 105 and Ultegra shifting for 9 or 10 speed.

Heath, I have your coffee cup.

Sorry for the momentary hijack. Carry on.