get me into long reach bars

finally going back to 31.8 (or 31.7) bar clamp on the new bike. i fell in love with the long reach on the noodles i had on the merckx and want to re-create that feeling with the new setup. im looking for something with a round bend, long reach and long hooks in a 46cm. prefer black but i can make due with silver or whatever.

so far the only bar ive found that meets my needs is the deda rhm 02, but the drop is a little shallow.

ive also thought about the cowbell but im not too sure i’ll like the extra flare with sram levers… or maybe it would be rad… so i ordered a pair on qbp last week to try them out… i just wish they had a little more drop.

and just as a reminder, heres the noodles.

is there anything else out there? i might be willing to go with an ergo if the reach is long enough and the ergo is not too uggo, kinda like the cowbell above.

You could always shim the stem so you can run noodles.

Anything long reach in 31.8 is likely to also be deep drop, so if that’s all fine for you, take a look at 3T, FSA and Deda’s offerings.

shims kinda defeat the whole point of oversized bars, but thanks. i guess i could run a 26.0 stem but thats not what i want either.

ive already looked at 3t, fsa and deda, i even listed a deda bar above. the rhm is the only thing that comes close to what im looking for.

again, im willing to go with a shallow drop if i can get a long reach, but i really want something round with long hooks and no ergo uggo.

^ shimano pro mang

rotundos?

the reach on those deda bars is super short, i think 35mm shorter than noodles. is it the long reach or flat ramp?

Rotundos and a -17 degree stem made me happy.

Bontrager seems like they have some bars that may suit you. They don’t list how long the hooks are, but theyv’e got a few bars with 85mm reach and 125mm drop.

[quote=Face]finally going back to 31.8 (or 31.7) bar clamp on the new bike. i fell in love with the long reach on the noodles i had on the merckx and want to re-create that feeling with the new setup. im looking for something with a round bend, long reach and long hooks in a 46cm. prefer black but i can make due with silver or whatever.

so far the only bar ive found that meets my needs is the deda rhm 02, but the drop is a little shallow.

ive also thought about the cowbell but im not too sure i’ll like the extra flare with sram levers… or maybe it would be rad… so i ordered a pair on qbp last week to try them out… i just wish they had a little more drop.

and just as a reminder, heres the noodles.

is there anything else out there? i might be willing to go with an ergo if the reach is long enough and the ergo is not too uggo, kinda like the cowbell above.[/quote]

Deda measures outside to outside so their “46” going to be more 44-ish.

I can’t wait to get my Cowbells. Going to be running them with Sram levers, and I’m not worried about it, but I have pretty big hands.

i know the reach on the dedas is much shorter, theyre just the only bar that has the drop shape i want. after looking at a few more catalogs and talking to some people i think i need to give up on a round drop. ive thought about rotundos but im not sure if im going to be spending enough time in the drops…

also, dont work at a trek dealer so bontrager is out of the question… fukka retail.

What about the FSA energy new ergo? They are reasonably deep in the drop, not that long in the reach though

i either need a 13-14cm stem or something with a decent reach. i’d rather go with a long reach and shorter stem so that my tops are nice and close and i can still stretch out on the hoods.

if the fsa came in a longer reach they would be my first choice.

now looking into shimano pro.

also, looking at the numbers and i see now that the deda rhm is super short and shallow, also bought some cowbells in 46 for the cross bike and they are also crazy short, but gonna be perfect for gnar shredding.

try this site: http://ruedatropical.com/2009/03/road-drop-bar-geometry/

need to get my hands on some zipp service coruse traditional bend bars… they look like fun.

also, deda newton even though neither of them will be flat in the hoods and ends of the drops at the same time…

^ super long reach bars: http://www.compasscycle.com/Handlebars.html

even have a parallel ramp/drop option

[quote=Buffalo Bill]^ super long reach bars: http://www.compasscycle.com/Handlebars.html

even have a parallel ramp/drop option[/quote]

Were they drunk when they installed these levers?

Tradeoffs, mang

If you tried to level the ramp/hood transition, the levers would get too fang-like and you’d lose ability to brake from the drops.

With that much reach on the ramps, having a smooth transition to the hoods doesn’t help much anyway.