get me into winter cycling

Oh… everyone here uses pogeys and gloves.

Like… these things. Dunno why everyone here calls them pogeys? Nothing searches under that name?

don’t ride on ice usually with no knobby guys

layers

You’ll look pro as fuck with studs on the front and knobs on the rear if you can master the “oh shit ICE!” 180 spin out

fuck that.

the milwaukee hoodie is excellent. that’s what I use when it’s 30 and below. although the hood is pointless while riding.

my setup:

smart wool baselayer (synth gets stinky), thift store wool sweater, wind/water resistant shell (cold as shit = milwaukee hoodie. medium cold = a windbreaker w/ arm pit vents).

balaclava for the cold as shit days. neck gaitor for non-balaclava days.

wool or fleece skull cap under helmet.

ski googles!

outdoor research glove liners + OR ski gloves.

wool socks + boots + bmx pedals.

I wear jeans + smart wool baselayer…I stay warm but if it’s a blizzard, my jeans get wet. I need to upgrade that.

one tip: if you step outside and you feel warm, you have over-dressed & will over-heat in a few miles. if you step out and feel kinda cold, you’re set.

full fenders and lights. do it right. shit gets dark at 3pm.

i didn’t think winter extended below the 49th parallel…

jokes aside, the #1 rule is to keep your neck warm. there’s a lot of blood traveling not too far from the skin that will radiate precious body heat if uncovered. very overlooked. also, more specific to riding bicycles is the fact that you’re moving pretty fast with your torso leaned forward so if you’re not covering your neck really well, chances are that cold air is flowing into your shirt/jacket’s neckhole and out the bottom. this alone accounts for a lot!

it would also be useful to describe the kind of riding you do. neoprene booties are great for long roadie rides, but non-cycling specific snow boots would be my choice for commuting, being a bike messenger and whenever need convenience and walkability.

of course wool socks are always awesome but you gotta beware not to impede your feet’s circulation, which’ll get 'em colder than even the least insulated shoes. the point where this happens is much sooner than you think and you’re going to want to wear your shoes looser than seems necessary.

i wore a merino wool jersey every day for two winters and it never treated me wrong. i also have cheapass merino sweater that do probably just as good a job, though they’re not quite as soft.

that’s the basics for now i guess.

ps. non-cotton long underwear

last year we had 16 feet. :colbert:

Think of Mt. Gavia in '88. That’ll keep you warm:

What’s with the glove love? Mittens are where it’s at. In extreme conditions you’ll last longer if you work as a team; the same goes for fingers. Get magic gloves (the $1 gloves at Walgreens) and wear mittens over them and you’ve got a winning combo.

Goggles will increase your tolerance by at least 10 degrees. In 20 degree weather with goggles I feel like I could be out there for days. And not just in snow. They provide protection from the wind, too.

Recipe for cheap balaclava: Go to thrift store. Buy long sleeve shirt whose sleeves fit over your head. Cut both sleeves to fit head. Cut out eye/goggle holes. Layer one on top of the other. Top with a hat. No sewing, very cheap, just as effective, but certainly not stylish.

Talkin’ in the DQ thread, RJ mentioned Gore shoes to keep the feet warm.

last year we had 16 feet. :colbert:[/quote]

16 feet lol, dude I’m from Buffalo NY. December 24th - 26th 2001 85 inches, (4 inches per hour) (81.6 at the airport) (I have a picture of a DC9 doing a tailstand from the weight of the snow). And I think thats not even the top 5 for us?

Thats not for the season, that was for THAT STORM.

i just want to commute as long as i can by bike before i have to resort to public transportation (which is fine because i live in between two trolley lines and a bus line, half a block in either direction of my house). i checked out a few stores today and found some winter coats that are too bulky for anything but walking around. should i check out north face shells?

[quote=Rusty Piton]Fuck that, heath.
California doods GTFO winter thread![/quote]

:colbert:

Just reading this thread gives me the chills.

Hell, I thought I was freezing this morning, it was 60F out.

i just want to commute as long as i can by bike before i have to resort to public transportation (which is fine because i live in between two trolley lines and a bus line, half a block in either direction of my house). i checked out a few stores today and found some winter coats that are too bulky for anything but walking around. should i check out north face shells?[/quote]

REI, Patagonia, Moosejaw…or get the milwaukee hoodie you were considering earlier.
you definitely do not want a bulky jacket.
add layers underneath if necessary, instead.

I wouldnt throw down all your cash on a jacket. just get a decent shell w/ decent ventilation that wont fall apart after one season…and spend the rest on gloves, neck gaitor, baselayers, etc.

and in my experience, you stay warmer riding then waiting around for public transit. at least, if you do it right.

[quote=Halbritt][quote=Rusty Piton]Fuck that, heath.
California doods GTFO winter thread![/quote]

:colbert:

Just reading this thread gives me the chills.

Hell, I thought I was freezing this morning, it was 60F out.[/quote]

Isn’t that normal though? It was 51 here and felt fucking great.

imma try and make december before i put on pants.

as hard as i like to think i am, i’ll probably wear gloves tomorrow morning if <60*

Someone buy these:
http://tarckbike.com/node/16016

[quote=Rusty Piton]Someone buy these:
http://tarckbike.com/node/16016[/quote]

i absolutely would, if they were 3 1/2 sizes too big.

i agree that west coasters should generally gtfo of winter riding discussion, but it’s funny to read about their struggles with sub 60* weather. like watching a fat dude struggle up an overpass on a squishy mtb.

Meh. I grew up and rode bikes in Missouri winters (and summers). I’ve done plenty of grocery runs in the snow.

Also, low 30’s and pouring rain suck in their own special way, and I have my share of experience with that.

I don’t think you were included in that RYM.

I hate you now.