get me into winter cycling

awwww shiiiii…

qft

lol @ 60f being cold

Where do you live Biek?

qft

lol @ America being cold[/quote]

ftfy

[quote=redyourmoon]Meh. I grew up and rode bikes in Missouri winters (and summers). I’ve done plenty of grocery runs in the snow.

Also, low 30’s and pouring rain suck in their own special way, and I have my share of experience with that.[/quote]

^this^

you don’t know misery until its raining vietnam sideways frozen rain in yr face

I have just a few things I wear once it gets cold here… around -28C to -38C cold

I’ll do some long underwear(or winter tights) under jeans and if I have to roll up the jeans I’ll put some leg warmers on as well. I get some -40 sock from MEC(Canada’s REI).
For Glove I just use lobster and only on the coldest days my thumbs have gone numb.
I’ll use my winter cap under my helmet and a balaklava for my face. Sometimes my neck gets cold and I’ll have a small scarf on as well.
For my body I just use a shirt, a long sleeve, a hoodie, and a wind proof jacket( use a light mec one). If you can stop the wind to your core you’ll be fine.

It is a really dry cold up here so I really never have to worry about getting wet and cold which is nice… -30 in wet snow…fuck that.

boston ma

[quote=white folks][quote=redyourmoon]Meh. I grew up and rode bikes in Missouri winters (and summers). I’ve done plenty of grocery runs in the snow.

Also, low 30’s and pouring rain suck in their own special way, and I have my share of experience with that.[/quote]

^this^

you don’t know misery until its raining vietnam sideways frozen rain in yr face[/quote]

sounds like october :colbert:

^ lol

guys quit all the h8n i just want 2 b warm on my biek

[quote=y][quote=white folks][quote=redyourmoon]Meh. I grew up and rode bikes in Missouri winters (and summers). I’ve done plenty of grocery runs in the snow.

^this^

you don’t know misery until its raining vietnam sideways frozen rain in yr face[/quote]

sounds like october :colbert:[/quote]

seriously. though i will say that i prefer sub zero temps and nice fluffy snow to hovering around the freezing point and having to deal with the slushy shit.

though if you live in in a city that salts the slush shows up eventually no matter how cold it is.

[quote=curiousincident][

seriously. though i will say that i prefer sub zero temps and nice fluffy snow to hovering around the freezing point and having to deal with the slushy shit.

though if you live in in a city that salts the slush shows up eventually no matter how cold it is.[/quote]

^Oh god this!
I’m looking forward to winter, but now that I remembered about the salt, I’m a little less excited.

yeah. not that you didn’t already know this, but just fenders and don’t ride a steel bike you care about.

my problem is that all my aluminum bikes are of the no clearance or eyelets variety.

i have a steel bike i care about. was considering getting some cheap steal singlespeed and run fenders x brakes for winter

[quote=curiousincident]
seriously. though i will say that i prefer sub zero temps and nice fluffy snow to hovering around the freezing point and having to deal with the slushy shit.[/quote]

of course. i was just saying that places that have REAL WINTER® also go through intermediary phases* of what’s described above.

*we call 'em spring and autumn

so you don’t get 100º+ summers we get it.

water boils at 100.

Every temperature stated from now on in this thread should be in Kelvins.

Frame Saver is a good idea.

Also leaving an extra change of clothes at your destination. You will get wet and cold at least once. Having a dry pair of socks to put on can be a life saver.

The basics have been covered pretty well on how to dress, preventing getting sweaty, etc.

Bike setup for me includes a low gear ratio with fixed cog for super traction; fat tires (32 wide with tread for me), full-coverage fenders, and definitely a front brake. Slush is definitely doable on a non-fixed bike; but if you ride when the roads are salted, wet, and covered in grit, cleaning your chain is much easier on a single speed. If you’re doing a multispeed build, consider your shifter options. I’ve had an STI shifter become clunky feeling in colder temps (like 298 kelvin and lower) due to grease coagulation. Bar ends, thumbies, and (ugh) grip shifters might work better for you depending on glove/mitten/lobster preferences. Lobster claws work well with trigger shifters, I hear.

Waxed-based lubes can work really well (Pedro’s Ice Wax) but beware of increased chain stretch. A stainless steel chain might be something to consider, but spending $40+ on a chain isn’t necessarily reasonable to me. If this is your first winter, I’d say you should leave yourself open to maybe replacing the chain if you don’t get your gear ratio low enough to begin with and gotta go lower.

Riser bars and cruiser bars are awesome. Even though drop bars may seem like a good temptation due to headwinds, it’s really important to make yourself comfortable on your bike (rather than hunched over) because there’s so much working against you nature-wise to make your ride uncomfortable. This winter, I’m going with some chromoly riser bar with hell of sweep.