Gloves?

[quote=“philatio”]
I think it’s kind of unnecessary to wear gloves just for crashing honestly. Maybe for mountain biking, but if you’re falling that much on the road (barring racing)…[/quote]

It’s not that I’m crashing that often, but it does happen on occasion and after the first time I found myself digging around behind a bloody flap of palm skin looking for a chunk of glass or asphault, I resolved to wear gloves whenever I ride.

I can definitely see what you guys are saying about that, but I guess the risk vs benefit just isn’t enough for me.

Like with a helmet - well, your brain is pretty damn important to the function of everything in your body. I can understand this and so I wear a helmet.

Your hands on the other…well, hand will suffer the same long term injuries regardless of gloves/no gloves. If you’re going to break a bone or tear a ligament it’s gonna happen either way. Road rash, while it does suck, is just going to last a couple weeks tops.

Following the gloves/crashing argument, shouldn’t we be wearing full body armor when we ride? Knee pads, mouth guards, kevlar tights… I mean you’ve gotta draw the line with protective equipment somewhere.

My line is gloves.

edit: fwiw I haven’t had a serious crash in 3 1/2 years so I’m probably a little careless, and none of my wrecks have caused me major hand issues. Little bit of road rash and that’s been about it.

When you ride through glass, and you are wearing gloves, you can reach down and palm your tire, and effectively remove things that might work through the tire and cause a puncture.

where do you wipe your snotty nose, if not on the terry patch on the thumb of most gloves?

unless im racing, crashing just isn’t part of my daily cycling repertoire

i actually wear weightlifting half-finger gloves i found at my parents house. they are stretchy/breathable on the back, and padded/grippy leather palms

perfect.

I have these really old Pearl Izumi gloves that say Gonzo on them.

yeah.

I ride for this company http://www.DriveBMX.com
They make these awesome gloves and they fit perfect.
Super breathable material on the backs.

if you cared about the logos, I’m sure a permanent marker would cover that up.
I use to use these to go driving too (when I still drove my AE86). Pretty much good for anything, and not super thick either
I don’t think they cost very much at all and you can get them anywhere.
DriveBMX is a sub-company of AnswerBMX which has been around since forever.

It’s called a sleeve. Most of us should have them except for maybe girls and dirty hippies.

I thought you guys had AE88s and we had AE86s

It’s called a sleeve. Most of us should have them except for maybe girls and dirty hippies.[/quote]
seems like the glove thing could get gross pretty fast :bear:

I never heard of AE88. I thought they were all 86’s.

I like mine except they lack the snot patch, which is not a big deal until winter comes around.

I thought you guys had AE88s and we had AE86s[/quote]

AE88’s are the FWD 1987 to 1992 model of the corolla.

AE86 was RWD from 1984 to 1987

My vin started with JT2AE86… like everyone elses.
This is before I made the motor go POP!

People complain when they call the USA Corolla’s "Trueno"s

HACHI-ROKUUUUUUUU!!!

i have those red white and blue performance gloves. they have been pretty rad, but i’m starting to get a hole in the palm and they smell kinda gnarly…anyone else have this problem or do i just have gross hands?

throw them in the washine machine. my palms were literally solid with grease rust and sweat after 6 months of solid use

but if you’re getting a hole you may have to replace em anyway

I bought these http://www.knog.com.au/ProductDetails.a … ductId=186 about a month ago. Pretty happy with them so far, but kinda wish now that I would have went with the full finger version.

^^^ the “strangler” gloves are about what i’m looking for right now. pricing isn’t bad considering.

I’d say go for it.
I’m pretty pleased with mine, they seem like they’ll last a long time.
I’d shop around before buying them directly from knog though, you can find a better price.
like here: http://www.ebikestop.com/knog_strangler … TNER=qbike

i wear them. they saved my hands from road rash, not my face though. My wrist still got sprained but at least they’re not cut up. i’m black it’d take being outside for quite awhile for me to worry about tan lines. I actually got gloves before i got a helmet.

What gloves have tons of padding in them? Seems no matter what I do I still lose feeling in my fingers (currently using some pearl izumis.) Also what gloves are recommended for cold weather riding? I never found anything good and just use gore-tex ski gloves. Thanks.