HALP! WTF is this noise? (VIDEO)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz0FFZdSCmo

I feel like it’s not supposed to make this sound. I noticed a slight whirr while riding last night and figured it wasn’t good… The hubs/chain/cog are all like 5 days old, still lubed up and fresh. What could it be? The chainline looks straight… Each tooth is catching right in the middle of the chain.

HELPZO

i dont know if it was the video/angle/something else, but it appears that your chain tension is not the same all the way through

fuck that noise

I noticed that bobbing in the chain too actually… the bike was wobbling a little bit but I don’t think that’s it.

What would be the solution to this then?

[quote=“Scalawag”]I noticed that bobbing in the chain too actually… the bike was wobbling a little bit but I don’t think that’s it.

What would be the solution to this then?[/quote]

Check out the section titled chain tension

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html

Yeah, I’ve read that plenty of times, but don’t really know what to look for regarding the “tightest point”, or even how to know where that is.

[Edit] Would this even cause a noise though? The noise is distinctly coming from the back cog area.

so set your tension pretty tight. rotate cranks. They’ll bind somewhere. That’s the spot.

edit: PS. cant watch youtube at work so I can’t address the vid.

mine makes the same noise. always thought it sucked

that sounded fine to me.

Really? I thought this was supposed to be dead quiet…

Mine does this too, don’t think there’s anything wrong with it other then being annoying.

what chain are you using?

Was going to ask the same thing. Some chains are just inherently louder than others.
I put a D.I.D. chain on my bike one time and it sounded like a goddamn train going down the road.

It came with the IRO. It says “Z” Narrow (KMC), I’m pretty sure it’s a 1/8" though with a 3/32" cog.

Or maybe it is 3/32… :expressionless:

Yeah I asked because my Izumi chain makes a similar noise.

is your chain lubed?

Yeah, it’s not even a week old and was lubed when installed

I’d say that noise is pretty normal. I was actually tryin to figure out wtf you were talking about.

Some chains quiet down after being worn in, others don’t. Give it a couple weeks.

It sounds like a bike to me.