help me find a good new (or new to me) track crankset.

so i have a small crack in a pair of sugino 75s. probably not a huge immediate concern but i’m now in the market for new cranks.

i’m a messenger–so i need something that ought to hold up for a good number of miles, but i also don’t have a lot of money to spend. what can i find that’ll be a good mix? naturally i’ll be keeping an eye on ebay and cl for 75s or omniums since i know good deals on those can pop up, but i’m not expecting anything…sometimes good things come up, sometimes they don’t.

for new, i was wondering about soma hellyers–i believe i’ve heard good things about 'em, but not sure. miche primato i had an eye on. i’m told the bb sucks, but i found a lot of sources for just cranks and chainring (though i’m not even sure i want the miche chainring). only thing is i saw them listed as having a 9/16" spindle…which seems to me it would sort of suck.

or anyone selling any or seen good ones?

should i cross post in marketplace?

Sram s300. Slightly specced down Omniums with 130bcd. Crank and BB for around $100

9/16 is referring to pedal spindle. i.e. standard.

This. If you’re messing on these cranks, the external bottom bracket will make maintenance quite a bit easier. I imagine the bearings will last a lot longer, too.

i thought it was 15mm…

the sram sounds okay. and i guess 130 bcd is slightly less stiff but more chainring options.

Microdrive like 39x14 or some shit, stiff as hell. Also, make sure you get the external BB one (GXP) rather than the POS one (powerspline).

[quote=grindmaster flash]i thought it was 15mm…

the sram sounds okay. and i guess 130 bcd is slightly less stiff but more chainring options.[/quote]

9/16" is the diameter of the threads for the pedal. 15mm is the size of the wrench flats.
Gotta love the bike industry’s ability to use standard and metric on a single part.

I don’t think the stiffness of a 130 vs 144 BCD is going to be noticeable. The BB upgrade will trump any flex in chainring.

Soma hellyers are just re-badged andel cranks that you can get for around $100 from benscycle.

omniums are great cranks. I know it sounds ridiculous and most of you are going to ridicule me for saying this, but if people in the FGFS who have been breaking cranks move to the omniums and have no problems, i imagine they would stand up to normal riding for quite some time. however, some dude with an 8mm wrench can steal your cranks. but i guess that goes with most components on a bike anyway.

i recently bought sakae CR cranks off ebay for something like $20. 144 BCD and have a 42mm chainline with the stock truvativ touro bottom bracket from my rush hour. Those, coupled with an FSA pro track chainring, have been pretty damn good cranks for super cheap. I did have a pair of ofmega mistrals that cracked though, so don’t go with those because the crank arms on those are super thin.

what’s the deal w/ stiffness and BCD? i have had limited dealings w/ 144 but my sugino 130s felt like they gave me all of it

As the diameter of the chainring increases relative to the diameter of the spider, the chainring tends to flex more. Track chainrings are generally around 48t and as such are close to the diameter of a 144bcd spider (smallest chainring is 42t). If you put a 48t chainring on a 130bcd crankset, there’s more of the chainring to flex. Smallest chainring on a 130bcd crankset is 38t.

The relevance of this is likely imaginary for most. For big guys like myself, or people that put out a lot of momentary torque, it makes a difference. For me, when I stand up and mash, the chain will hit the sideplate of the front derailleur, or at least that was the case with my last crankset.

There was a set of SRAM Omniums on Velospace brand new for 140 + shipping now sure if they’re still available I’ll try to find the link.

http://velospace.org/node/21529

send him a message and see what’s up.

I found a guy on craigslist I emailed who had a set of Miche advanced cranks and bottom bracket for 175 I can give you his email if your interested.

I did a little searching and found those sram s300 for 72.45 on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/SRAM-S300-TRACK-FIXED-GEAR-CRANK-165mm-w%2FGXP-CRANKSET-_W0QQitemZ370234885137QQcmdZViewItem

In regards to crank/chainring stiffness, I have one bike with 151bcd cranks to a 48t 1/8" chainring, and another with 110bcd to a 3/32nd 50t chainring.

I’ve never felt any difference between the two that I thought I could attribute to the chainring flexing. The 110bcd one is an FSA outboard carbon deal, and it feels stiffer overall, but the frame it’s on isn’t as stiff.

Basically, there’s so many variables, both imagined and real, that the only difference between 130 and 144bcd is availability of chainrings.

[quote=thurston][quote=grindmaster flash]i thought it was 15mm…

the sram sounds okay. and i guess 130 bcd is slightly less stiff but more chainring options.[/quote]

9/16" is the diameter of the threads for the pedal. 15mm is the size of the wrench flats.
Gotta love the bike industry’s ability to use standard and metric on a single part.

I don’t think the stiffness of a 130 vs 144 BCD is going to be noticeable. The BB upgrade will trump any flex in chainring.[/quote]

oh yeah you’re right about the stiffness…i was just saying. i know that’s the truth.

[quote=dayvan cowboy]I did a little searching and found those sram s300 for 72.45 on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/SRAM-S300-TRACK-FIXED-GEAR-CRANK-165mm-w%2FGXP-CRANKSET-_W0QQitemZ370234885137QQcmdZViewItem[/quote]

damn, that looks awesome. i might bite on those, thanks a million.

you crack the left or right? how long is the arm? i have a 167.5 ds dura ace arm looking for a match.

nah, man, i’d totally send you the crank if it matched–165, though. the nds crank is fine, so half the equation is there…sounds too short for you, though.

poo bad

s300 shipping to me now! thanks for the help, guize!