Holy shit/Bike Shop lulz

Oh, another good one.

‘I was on the phone with competitive cyclist and they recommended I install the Enduro TorqTite into the carbon frame with blue Loctite’
‘Wait, they said what? Yeah, I’m not doing that unless you get them to send you an email stating exactly that’
‘Well, he sounded knowledgeable’
‘No, I’m not doing that unless it’s in writing and you approve it. I’ll use 609 without question, but I’m not using blue Loctite on a press fit/thread fit bb.’
‘I’ll call you tomorrow when I get them to send me an email stating to use blue Loctite’
‘Whatever Jim, it’s your call, but I won’t doing anything unless you send me an email stating you’re okay with it, you forward me the email from CC, and you understand the potential future issues.’

That was last night. I’m still waiting for the emails.

Lol, that reminds me of something I heard while working on my bike at the university’s bike co op. An Indian exchange student was in there with his old steel road bike with the fork bent back so far the tire would hit the downtube. Unrideable. The mechanic from the co op told him “Yeah you should get a new fork, but actually, you don’t need to get one if you can’t afford it. I’ve done this a bunch of times: turn the stem 180 degrees so the fork is backwards, make sure you’re wearing a helmet, then get the bike going at, idk, 10-12 mph and run it into a solid wall. Should bend the fork right back.” I was in disbelief at what I was hearing. I heard later from a friend of the mechanic that he was probably joking, but it did not seem like the Indian guy was picking up on it. I didn’t at the time. Who know if he took that insane advice

[quote=motorbacon]Customer comes in 10 minutes before closing while I’m helping out another customer. I’m overhearing him talking to the owner and just thinking, what the hell?
Customer: ‘You guys did a tune up recently, and now the brake pads hit the tire…I mean, I hit a curb and now it the pads hit the tire’
Me: So what’s going on? (I throw the bike on the stand and start looking at the brakes, and the pads are maybe contacting 1/4 or the brake surface).
Customer: 'You guys did a tune up, and now this is not working. Why’s it not working? Did you put on the wrong parts?

In the meantime, the owner is just hovering just because he’s curious. He’s yet to question me in front of a customer, but he’ll always ask questions afterwards if he didn’t understand what/why/how .

I step back from the bike and look at it. The fork is fucking raked back so hard. ‘So, how hard did you hit this curb? Your fork is bent back so far I can’t work on this bike until you replace the fork’.

Customer: ‘I hit it pretty hard, I guess. I don’t really remember’.

Mother fucker was wasted and ran into a wall at full speed or something. Told him I was done touching the bike until the fork was replaced due to liability. He’s out riding the bike, with a bent to shit fork and pads that clamp on the tire…[/quote]

classic nightmare customer archetype. had one of these in baltimore. dude would haggle for piecemeal a la carte work on his disaster bike, go get wasted and crash it, then come back and angrily accuse us of bad work or cheating him or whatever. eventually we’d refuse service, and a few weeks later he’d come back and blow all his cash on the cheapest new road bike we had and begin the cycle of destruction anew. it was 100% the worst because he knew he was wrong and could be talked down every time, but was the most tiresome and miserable song and dance to have to go through on the floor in front of other customers.

then, after way way too much of that, we fired him.

Question for bikeshopbros:

My buddy just bought an All City Gorilla Monsoon last week. He loves it.

We took it out on the trails today and got a flat immediately from cactus. Our first thought was “Damn, better pull that cactus out and pump these brand new tubless tires back up.” So we did, but it’s not set up tubeless.

The rims are TCS, the tires are TCS, it’s advertised as tubeless and it has TCS decals plastered all over the fucking things, yet they set it up with tubes.

What the fuck man, it’s 2018. Is there any reason why a shop would set up an obviously tubeless bike with tubes? He’s gonna call them and give them a raft of shit about it before I get any replies here, but I figured I’d get some proshopbro-thoughts on this. We keep brainstorming about it and the only answer we can come up with is: lazy fucks.

Maybe their core customer doesn’t tubeless. This sounds like a Yelp review.

Most shops wont tubeless until bike is sold. Also, if your buddy wanted it tubeless it doesn’t hurt to say ‘set it up tubeless’.

There’s still a lot of anti tubeless people out there.

You guys are way off base. It came with tubes from the factory. If he wanted it tubeless, he needs to request that from the shop. “Tubeless ready” does not mean “it’s already tubeless”. If he didn’t know it wasn’t tubeless, then it’s only because he failed to ask.

Well that’s a bummer.

Not gonna lie, if he were to call me I’d turn it on him and ask why he didn’t request the tubeless to be set up and explain exactlybwhybitvhad tubes in a way that would make him feel dumb for complaining without actually saying anything mean. Every shop has at least one person with that skillset and it’s used often.

True bike shop lulz here today.

Yeah basically every bike comes set up with tubes, and there’s really no reason to swap them for tubeless on floor bikes, because, as others have noted, some people don’t want tubeless and you never know how long that bike is going to be sitting there. The only exception I’ve come across was the nicer giant road and mountain bikes, that all came with tape and valves, but giant still instructed to wait until the bike sold to put sealant in, and those tires held air well without sealant, 2high may not be the case with other tubeless tire/rim combos.

I mean, it’s not like it was a floor bike or anything like that, dude special ordered it.

[quote=kmcdon]I mean, it’s not like it was a floor bike or anything like that, dude special ordered it.[/quote]ordered it complete? still ships with tubes.

Yep, complete.

Yeah, tubeless bikes don’t come with sealant in the box. They come with tubes in the box.

So he special ordered a weird niche bike and didn’t ask for tubeless.

Got it.

I mean, is it that far off base to assume that a weird niche offroad adventure bike that comes with tubeless tires and tubeless rims would be tubeless?

I don’t think so.

Mom comes into the store with her sons and the bikes they got last week. One of them is a 20" single speed coaster bike. I already don’t like her as she reminds me of my sister in law in the sense that she’s never to blame, her kids are perfect and she needs to openly blame everyone else.

I’m helping out multiple customers and she rolls in
‘Three things fell off my son’s bike. It’s only a week old!’ Pulls out a front reflector lens (base is still there on the bar), the reflector from the front wheel and the cap that covers the axle nut on the front.

‘Those usually don’t just pop off. Did they take any spills maybe?’

‘No, that’s impossible’.

‘Well, let’s start by rotating the bars back to where they need to be, and would you like to replace the grip as a chunk is missing from it, maybe from sliding on the ground?’ I pop on new reflectors and walk away.

‘Wow, that was quick! Thanks!’

end scene. Fucking people. Almost as bad as complaining about tubes in a TCS tire without asking for it to be set up tubeless.

You motherfuckers do realize that if any one of us on this forum set up a TCS tire/wheel combo with tubes you would be the first to call them a dumb asshole, right?

[quote=kmcdon]I mean, is it that far off base to assume that a weird niche offroad adventure bike that comes with tubeless tires and tubeless rims would be tubeless?

I don’t think so.[/quote]

Let me continue.

How many actual people outside of Tarck have tubeless dirt touring bikes or even tubeless touring bikes? Very few. Why? Because they’re afraid they won’t be able to fix a tire issue on the road if they have tubeless.

If you order a burrito and forget to ask for them to not put sour cream in it, do you get mad at them for not reading your mind?