Holy shit/Bike Shop lulz

You motherfuckers do realize that if any one of us on this forum set up a TCS tire/wheel combo with tubes you would be the first to call them a dumb asshole, right?[/quote]

Maybe your friend did something to annoy the guys at the shop so they didn’t care? Who knows. They’re humans. People make mistake.

Have your friend call the shop, tell them he thought it was tubeless and it kind of ruined the ride. They’ll offer for him to head in, wait why they set it up tubeless and not charge labor. All will be well.

Sounds like ‘that customer’ that shopbros pull straws to ‘help’.

[quote=kmcdon]I mean, is it that far off base to assume that a weird niche offroad adventure bike that comes with tubeless tires and tubeless rims would be tubeless?

I don’t think so.[/quote]

Unless specifically requested, then yes you should not assume it has tubes. If your friend has any grievance here, it’s with All City, but even that is spurious.

This is a perfect analogy.

[quote=Tail Hook Lengthener][quote=kmcdon]I mean, is it that far off base to assume that a weird niche offroad adventure bike that comes with tubeless tires and tubeless rims would be tubeless?

I don’t think so.[/quote]

Unless specifically requested, then yes you should not assume it’s tubeless. If your friend has any grievance here, it’s with All City, but even that is spurious.[/quote]

Thanks, this is the answer I was looking for, not customer-shaming for missing some detail that’s not even listed anywhere on the website.

im inclined to agree
tubeless compatible doesnt necessarily mean tubeless equipped.
but
QBP sez this:

Wheels
Wheelset

Front Hub
Novatec Sealed Bearing, 32h, Black
Rear Hub
Novatec Sealed Bearing, 32h, Black
Front Thru Axle / QR
Thru Axle
Rear Thru Axle / QR
Thru Axle
Rims
WTB STP i25 TCS, 27.5", 32h
Spokes

Spoke Nipples

Rim Tape / Strips
N/A
Tires
WTB Ridler TCS 27.5" x 2.4"
Tubes
N/A

NO RIM STRIPS
AND
NO TUBES

so lets say its 50% of this and half a dozen of that

Well there you have it. It does not ship with tubes. So the shop had to make a decision. My decision would have been to call the customer who special ordered and ask what he wants.

Man, sounds like your buddy got FREE TUBES AND RIM STRIPS. That’s a deal!

Seems reasonable.

All City doesn’t state tubes or rim strips.

Also, the shop would’ve had two 27.5 tube skus on the work order when the customer picked up the bike.

Is this PACELINE?

Yeah, so what did the shop say when your homebrew called and told them that he assumed it was tubeless and oops can it be tubeless please very nicely?

I mean, sounds like it was a DAY RUINER but hell, any day you’re on a bike isn’t that bad.

[quote=eric_ssucks]Yeah, so what did the shop say when your homebrew called and told them that he assumed it was tubeless and oops can it be tubeless please very nicely?

I mean, sounds like it was a DAY RUINER but hell, any day you’re on a bike isn’t that bad.[/quote]

I advised him the following: Bud, you should call the shop up and say “hey man I really thought this bike was going to be tubeless right off the bat, but I got a flat on the first ride and found out it has tubes, how can we fix this in a way that works out for both of us?”

I’ll report back when he gets his results, which will probably be in a day or 2.

Also, on the topic of day/ruiner, since the bike is pretty similar to a dayruiner and I got to ride it (and I’m pretty sure he bought it because he saw the hunter/gatherer and was in awe) I have a couple takeaways:

Mechanical brakes suck.
I don’t like doubletap.
The paint is hella sweet on that thing.
Has more tire clearance than the day/ruiner in the rear, but not as much in the front.
Is nowhere near as sw8 as the day/ruiner.

I’d be happy to work with anyone who called with this attitude. The initial “give 'em hell” approach was definitely not the right way to pursue this.

I’d be happy to work with anyone who called with this attitude. The initial “give 'em hell” approach was definitely not the right way to pursue this.[/quote]

Yeah my man was very very upset when he got that flat tire, I personally wouldn’t call into a bike shop like that, but that’s what he said he was gonna do so :shrug:.

I actually had assumed that we would be on the phone with them first thing this morning, but when I checked in an hour ago he wasn’t even awake yet.

Shop should have asked him if he wanted tubeless. So not entirely customer’s fault.

Exactly. Sure the shop should have asked, and the customer should have talked about it with them before taking the bike out for some shreddies. This is a learning experience for both of them.

i blame surly.

I’d never assume a bike was coming set up tubeless. There’s a food/dining analogy here but basically that stuff needs to be reasonably fresh. I’ve demo’d and rented a number of MTBs in the past couple of years and none of them were tubeless either. There is a bit of a leg to stand on regarding the bike being a special order and being tubeless compatible but I’d just be nice about it.

One of my old coworkers got a sweet Kona cross rig from a certain PDX shop that sells a lot of Konas, and he was shocked that they tubeless’d it for him. Stoked, but surprised.

This is the only correct take in this entire thread.

I fuggin hate wrapping tubeless tape.
It takes a while.
Unless someone specifically asked, there is no way I’d automatically tubeless anything.
Plus the cost of tape, valve stems and sealant.
Your buddy is living in a fantasy world if he thought that was gonna magically appear on his new bike.

In other news, my tcs rim and tire that I disassembled and put a second layer of tape on were flat AGAIN last time I went out and checked on it.

[quote=Gary Fissure]I fuggin hate wrapping tubeless tape.
It takes a while.
[/quote]
do you have a wheel stand?