Holy shit/Bike Shop lulz

Am I supposed to be claiming this stuff on my taxes?

Well technically you should be paying state use tax for anything you buy tax-free on the internet.

Not that anyone does that irl.

narc

Yes I know that, but listing purchases mailed from abroad on your tax return is a thing?

Bike shop lulz:
Local Paceliner works on other local’s bikes. They come in for ‘adjustments’ after he’s worked on it and I need to recable the whole bike and rewrap the bars. Customer goes,’ why are you charging me to wrap the bars and recable?’

Well, because I have to redo all of it.

Other lulz: customer comes in super proud of himself for bleeding his brakes. One thing he missed, he put a full bleed’s worth of DOT fluid in Magura and they don’t work anymore. Sorry dude, new brake time.

Holy shit. Long time customers coming through like whoa this week. Enve to Onyx, King tandem to Quills, DT 350 to Belgiums, Propel SL 0, and mass email to riding group (about 200 people) which said ‘go see matias, he works at this shop, at the intersection of this street and that between these two shops’. That was last week.

13 new customers so far.

Like dentist paceliner?

Had almost exactly this the other day. Guy came in and bought cables and housing, comes back later in the day and asks me to check his work. It’s all wrong, and I tell him it’ll be $25 per brake and shifter to fix, and he flips the fuck out. I was straight up with him and said “Well, you did it wrong and you wanted me to fix it. If it’s not worth $75 to you [two brakes, one dangler), you can take it and leave.” He calmed down and I fixed all of his work in 15 minutes for $75.

Just need to make sure you keep the bike long enough to make them feel as though you had to really work for those 75 dollars…

YES

4 referrals to ruckus so far this month

my stand is cursed

3 cracked frames today on my stand. One which belongs to a Rapha corporate marketing individual.

Speaking of broken carbon, I have 9 Enve wheels coming back from warranty service this week. hahaha.

In the last six months, I’ve sent upwards of two dozen Enve wheels back for delaminated brake surfaces, spoke breakage issues due to incorrectly molded spoke nipple beds or cracks in the bead shelf.

serious question- how do you feel about light bicycle and the like?

Just need to make sure you keep the bike long enough to make them feel as though you had to really work for those 75 dollars…[/quote]

I did the opposite. I walked away from his bike to help others (some of Marley’s alley cat racers rolled in with a flat), answered the phone, yelled at other people to answer the phone, etc. Still finished in as long as it takes more people to take a shit and charged him full price.

[quote=motorbacon]3 cracked frames today on my stand. One which belongs to a Rapha corporate marketing individual.

Speaking of broken carbon, I have 9 Enve wheels coming back from warranty service this week. hahaha.

In the last six months, I’ve sent upwards of two dozen Enve wheels back for delaminated brake surfaces, spoke breakage issues due to incorrectly molded spoke nipple beds or cracks in the bead shelf.[/quote]

Ouch. That’s a lot of cracked frames. All the same?

Had almost exactly this the other day. Guy came in and bought cables and housing, comes back later in the day and asks me to check his work. It’s all wrong, and I tell him it’ll be $25 per brake and shifter to fix, and he flips the fuck out. I was straight up with him and said “Well, you did it wrong and you wanted me to fix it. If it’s not worth $75 to you [two brakes, one dangler), you can take it and leave.” He calmed down and I fixed all of his work in 15 minutes for $75.[/quote]

What kind of things are these people doing?? Recabling has been super easy on every bike I’ve owned.

[quote=motorbacon]Bike shop lulz:
Local Paceliner works on other local’s bikes. They come in for ‘adjustments’ after he’s worked on it and I need to recable the whole bike and rewrap the bars. Customer goes,’ why are you charging me to wrap the bars and recable?’ [/quote]
I used to have to explain all the time that the amount of work the customer did prior to bringing in the bike was almost completely irrelevant to the amount of work it would take to do it right.

I say “almost” because sometimes undoing the work took a little extra time.

As a guy who has done some shitty recablings, if you aren’t careful you can fuck up the angles/bends, lengths if you don’t pay attention to the factory ones, burrs and fraying on the cables that cause the cables to pull funny, in-line adjusters in bad places that cause issues, not putting the caps/ferrules in the right places, not pulling cables taut enough, etc etc. I recable a bike once every year or 2 and the one I did a couple weeks ago easily took me an hour or 2 to get everything right because I’d done it kind of fucky last time around.

you’re supposed to claim it on your taxes?

who the fuck would actually do that?

Yeah but you’re not dumb.

Shop bros: are tubes displayed out in the open, or kept behind the counter/mechanics’ area? Asking because I finally visited the LBS a mile from my house and had to ask for a tube. Seemed weird, as every other shop I’ve been to had tubes/folding tires out in the open.