How big are your group rides?

The weekly Tuesday night ride here in Denton reached 60 bikes this time, 52 last week. Before that it was in the 40s for a while. That ride averages maybe 10mph and lasts around 1.5 hours.

Its pretty incredible looking out over a pack that big made up of every kind of bike and rider you can think of.

After the ride a couple of us broke off and did another hour or so outside the city on some smooth curvy sorta country roads doing 20+. That always feels good.

There is also an all-girl ride on Thursdays, and fast rides on Wednesday and Friday. I love this town.

What’s it like where you are?

nothing more than a couple of us, calling to see whats up. then group ride forms and meet in like 20mins, usually has no destination, length…

usually around 4/5people not much of a group

Usually 2-4 people back here.

we hover between 6 and 10 usually, depending on what it is.

sunday morning waffle ride is usually at least 5 or 6

i really cant wait to go waffle riding

I biked through a tiny bit Prospect Park with one of my friends before she got tired two nights ago. That’s about as far as it goes. I don’t really have any biking friends. It’s just me and :bear:

That saturday waffle ride was the only waffle ride I’ll ever do.

I bike alone 99% of the time. But our last critical mess reached 700-ish people. That was cool for like 12 minutes or so.

edit:duh, I ride with my girlfriend a whole bunch. :bear:

MTB 2 to 20 people, Road I go solo.

I’m the only road geek in the group.

Once I chased down a road cyclist. He didn’t even say hi. Thats the closest to a group I’ve ever been.

A road cyclist? What were you riding on, a hover-bike?

when are you coming?

why?

I usually ride alone.
I do like critical mass.
The tenth aniversary in chicago was like three thousand people.
It was stupid big and got kinda out of hand.

Same. We have a Tuesday MTB group that sees at least 4, but usually no more than 10. I like riding trail with 4-8. Any more than that and the accordion effect becomes too prevalent, mechanicals become too common, and an injury is sure to occur.

Right as I was reading this thread and I was thinking “man I wish I had bike friends”, my friend called me and asked if I wanted to go for a bike ride. It’s a :bear:acle!

i dont necessarily have bike friends. . a couple, but i didnt know the guys on the fast ride and we didnt even talk because we were all being too intense.

the ride here is sorta critical mass-esque, in that there is no set route, but we do have some designated intersection blockers (who also act as cattle drivers in a sense, making sure the herd stays in one lane for safety), and people who announce things before and after the ride, and we do it every week, because once a month isnt enough.

i rarely do group rides. i wish people wanted to ride at 3 in the afternoon on saturday after i get off of work… but i can’t seem to find people who enjoy 98 degree weather under the scorching sun who want to ride with me. or on sunday, at 11, when i wake up, have eaten a big breakfast & am finally ready to go. the group rides in miami all happen at like 6-8 am on the weekend. yuck.

when are you coming?

why?[/quote]
I’m stuck back at home until august 31, when I come back to PDX for school. Hopefully this time it’ll be coming back for good.

Same. We have a Tuesday MTB group that sees at least 4, but usually no more than 10. I like riding trail with 4-8. Any more than that and the accordion effect becomes too prevalent, mechanicals become too common, and an injury is sure to occur.[/quote]

Yup, big groups can suck just for those reasons. Waiting at the junctions for the stragglers while being chewed up by black flies, dear flies and mosquitoes gets old fast.

[quote=“zelah”]

why?[/quote]

Well, every Sunday until October, I drive up to Astoria, Set up a foodstand and sell, and then get home at 7:00PM. But it makes me a little happier that they have a fairly small bike shop.