How far is too far on fork ends?

So… I have an alien frameset. I’m getting it setup for winter and putting big tires on it (27" fork).

So I currently have some 32c tires and just added some links to the chain and moved the rear wheel back. In order to fit a 32c crosswolf, I need to add 2 complete links (4 pieces total) and the axle sits on the back of the fork end. The entire axle is definitely in the fork ends and the track nuts engage fully on the ends. But it is pretty far back.

Any idea on if this is “bad” as it is outside of the seat stay so I wonder if it would be weak for bumps and the like.

I can get pics up sometime later.

Edit: on another note, I was looking for 28c tires and couldn’t find any. If anyone has any rec’s for 28c crossers… let a brother know.

i love continental touring plus tires.

as far as too far, if the axle isn’t outside of the dropouts, i wouldn’t worry personally, just make sure everything is tight.

Grindmaster, how would those tires handle on gravel, sand covered roads, dirt, etc? Basically fire road and light trail duty.

not sure, i’ve only used them in the city. i’ve gone off onto non-paved areas a couple of times but not enough to feel i have a real opinion. fine, i’d think.

[quote=EivlEvo]
Edit: on another note, I was looking for 28c tires and couldn’t find any. If anyone has any rec’s for 28c crossers… let a brother know.[/quote]

Cross tires kind of start around 30mm…if you can fit in Michelin Cyclocross Jet tires (30mm), I’d recommend those. Otherwise you might just be looking at touring style tires.

On the dropout note, I think you should be fine as long as the axle is totally in the drop outs with full nut contact.

Yeah Im not seeing any crossers under the 30c tick. But I can’t use touring tires. Need to be cross tires or studded.

I’m going to add the other full set of links in tomorrow afternoon and asses it.

I’m not so much worried about it falling out of the back, but bending the fork ends. On the aliens they’re rather elongated…

atmo track ends are long because they’re supposed to be used the whole length

lol long ends are long

[quote=EivlEvo]Yeah Im not seeing any crossers under the 30c tick. But I can’t use touring tires. Need to be cross tires or studded.

I’m going to add the other full set of links in tomorrow afternoon and asses it.

I’m not so much worried about it falling out of the back, but bending the fork ends. On the aliens they’re rather elongated…

[/quote]
If both sides are securely tightened, you couldn’t just bend the dropouts. In order for one to bend, the other would have to pretty much tear off the bike. at least, i think so, given the angles involved.

What? He’s worried about hitting a bump and having them both bend upward.

I personally wouldn’t worry about it too much, especially with biggerish tires. I also kinda doubt the dropouts themselves would be the weakest point, but then again I haven’t seen an alien in person so I’m not sure how beefy they are.

Oh, duh.

still wouldn’t worry that much about that.

i had the same concern when i got my alien. the resident frame builder at the shop told me it would take a shit ton of pressure to bend thems because any pressure would be distributed over both fork ends, which are actually quite thick on the aliens…

Yeah ok… this was my suspicion. If they’re there… they’re designed to be used.

And honestly, even if they do bend upwards… there’s so much fork end there that I could just ditch the puffy tires (lol) and ride it in non-winterized mode.

I’ll still put pics up today for references.

Thanks squad

Pic:

Can take more from other angles if necessary.

Well, it certainly does look janky, but I wouldn’t worry too much. I have some of those track ends coming in the mail to go on my attempt at building a SS MTB. I figure the long slot will be nice for Dos Eno/Flip-Flop duty.

If those weird super long Cannondale drop outs held up, these will.

yeah, that’s gonna be juuust fine.

Crack 'n Fail.

Looks fine to me fwiw.

I wouldn’t worry about it.