How many spokes?

Ask whoever built it. I would hope you didn’t throw cheap spokes on your otherwise way-ballin’ setup.

I plan on doing the same too, lacing up some wheels to get the experience and eventually getting into just learning to build a full wheel myself after that. I think as long as you doublecheck your lacing and then have an experienced wheelbuilder do the same, you should be fine.

I’d say go Sapim Laser or DT Revolution on the spokes. How much do you weigh? CR-18s are a burly rim so you should be able to get away with a lighter spoke in theory. My IRD rim has Sapim Lasers and I can’t knock the thing out of true for the life of me.

my DA set was 32r 36f…i know, but they were cheaper because of it. but i now have the zeus/wobler up front which is 32.

can i thread bladed through old DA hubs without those fucking fileouts?

I’ve got a pair of cheapo weinmans 36/36
My beater has some old boxxy thing in front that’s 34 and a velocity aero rear that’s 36.
My Mavics on my Faggin are 32/32.

ellipse are 20

[quote=“aek”]my DA set was 32r 36f…i know, but they were cheaper because of it. but i now have the zeus/wobler up front which is 32.

can i thread bladed through old DA hubs without those fucking fileouts?[/quote]

real bladed spokes, no. ovalized “bladed” spokes like sapim cx-rays that are still race-worthy aero, yes.

but cx-rays will run somewhere around $3 a spoke (less if the shop hooks it up and likes you).

I plan on doing the same too, lacing up some wheels to get the experience and eventually getting into just learning to build a full wheel myself after that. I think as long as you doublecheck your lacing and then have an experienced wheelbuilder do the same, you should be fine.

I’d say go Sapim Laser or DT Revolution on the spokes. How much do you weigh? CR-18s are a burly rim so you should be able to get away with a lighter spoke in theory. My IRD rim has Sapim Lasers and I can’t knock the thing out of true for the life of me.[/quote]

I havn’t weighed my self in a while but probably somewhere around 145. I was planning before to just go 36 3 cross on both but I’m thinking that’s probably over kill?

yes. i’d say 32h 3x with sapim lasers or dt revolutions should do you up well. at your weight you don’t have to worry about beating your wheels quite as much as some of us. 36 3x wouldn’t exactly hurt you though even if it’s slightly more weight, so it’s your call.

alright, thanks alot for your help.

Ask whoever built it. I would hope you didn’t throw cheap spokes on your otherwise way-ballin’ setup.[/quote]
worst case scenario I get them rebuilt over the winter by dean. I’m just tired of dealing with homeboy at this point

contact our friend doug. i can vouch firsthand that he builds a very legit wheel. the IRD he built me is bombproof and it’s been a real struggle to try and bust it out of true.

32h 3x is fine for probably all riding you’re going to do on this bike, if you’re on the lighter side. I’m building up some wheels for loaded/utility/cross/trail riding that will be 32-spokes, and with fat tires (probably 35mm knobby) and a good build (my own), I feel confident that they will be strong enough to take whatever abuse my 130lb self can throw at them. If I weighed a bit more (150+) I might get worried on trails and the like, but I think as long as I ride trails, I won’t weigh 150+.

For unloaded, fast road riding, I would be comfortable on a 28f/28r or even 24f/28r as long as I felt like I could trust the abilities of whoever built them, whether that’s Mavic, a friend or myself. I’m going with 32/32, though, since a nice wheelset kind of fell into my lap.