I get dropped by old dudes wearing hi-vis vests and campy dayglo bodysuits

I, quite frankly, do not care for bureaucracy and administration. Particularly from grumpy greyhairs. I am not a number, I am a free man!

No masters, no controls, no problem!

Then you can fuck off from the Randonneuring thread because your long bike rides are just that: not a brevet.

Or we can just post whatever we want wherever we want because it’s tarck.

Ha… I’m all for my rides becoming legit and attracting greybeards. I’m just too busy to deal with the whole making it legit part. What little brain power I have left after running two businesses (poorly) and being a mediocre dad ends up going to a couple USAC races.

Mig… you’re just going to have to move to Richmond as outlined in my simple plan. I hear “Church Hill” is cool.

Richmond seems like a cool town

One of my top three reasons I love it here. No grousing about being “off topic” and almost no threads get closed, ever.

Mig, my “pull some shit together” meant “take notes on the club formation rules from RUSA’s website, bearing in mind your description of how to form a club, and working with existing organizations of riders already present in Richmond”. I am trying to qualify for PBP, after all - can’t do the thing if you don’t follow the rules.

You want to qualify? Ride your bike.

That’s seriously the only advice worth taking.

you’re arguing against …yourself?

heh, I was just mildly jimmyrustling earlier with that statement, but after reading this I kind of want to have a serious debate about the subject. Let’s remember that nobody here is trying to slam RUSA or your personal achievements, you’re obviously very passionate about this and any organization that furthers cycling is OK in my book. This is just for funsies.

Now, with that being said.

What is to stop a shop or group of people from putting events together, with predefined routes and controls, and calling them brevets? I don’t believe that RUSA or ACP own the trademark on that word. Sure, you’re not going to qualify for PBP or anything but that’s not really a goal for a lot of people. A lot of people also don’t have the time to commit to these “sanctioned” events, or the means to get to where they are held. Is an alleycat or a bandit cyclocross race still a race even though USAC doesn’t endorse it? Yes. Why should a brevet be any different, especially if all the same guidelines are followed? I feel like it’s mostly a pride thing, and I get that, but like I said nobody is trying to trivialize anyone’s achievements.

No?

yes?

[quote=kmcdon]
What is to stop a shop or group of people from putting events together, with predefined routes and controls, and calling them brevets? [/quote]
The difference between McDonald’s and making it at home: you can’t get the happy meal at home.

Who would expect a mostly volunteer run organization to put the time and effort into trademarking a name?

I beg to differ. Take a look at attendance PBP years, years after PBP, and years before. There are waves. Secondly, you must be a RUSA member to ride any RUSA events over 199km - this is mostly an insurance thing.

Sure. You do you. Your bootleg brevets are fine for you and your friends - but if you are going to spend all this energy building this squad, why not send a half dozen more emails and legitimize the effort? I mean, it’s like a licensing agreement - you do your events after approval from the admin, you reap (not insignificant) benefits? Yes, you’ll add a step that might take some extra time but you may get more people from other places traveling to join your squad and you may receive the documentation used for RUSA recognition (like Randonneurs cup, p100, r200, other unimportant trinkets).

I mean, tarck is a volunteer-run effort who is in the process of trademarking a name, so there’s that. From what I’m reading, it seems that you’re not taking offense to a “bootleg brevet” still being called that, as long as the organizer isn’t trying to bill it as some sanctioned event. And to be fair on a personal level I still would like to get up to Boulder and do some of the official RUSA events, it seems like it’d be a good time. I’m mostly bringing this up because my LBS, who is a band of miscreants and outcasts, does similar “rando-style” events like Braden’s. They call it a brevet, they’re up-front that they’re not sanctioned by RUSA, and nobody cares. It’s just like 20 people who enjoy the ride. Not trying to shove it in RUSA’s face or anything, but the organizers just aren’t very concerned with “being legit”, whatever that means.

Serious Q: Does a patch like this offend people who are heavily involved with RUSA? I earned it in an un-sanctioned event, but I still followed all the rules that would have applied if it were some sanctioned event:

I’m not offended

Tarck is about complicating your drivetrain everything

Pretty sure Colorado has a couple clubs

Well that’s great news. Good chat, maybe next year I’ll hit some of these:

http://www.rmccrides.com/brevets.htm

I think I’m still going to do the bandit brevets though :slight_smile:

At some point in 2015 I stopped doing permanents and just riding as much as I could. It helped.