I get dropped by old dudes wearing hi-vis vests and campy dayglo bodysuits

[quote=jdsmooth]I did a 380km Fleche through New Hampshire and Maine. Had great weather (30–70ºF) and it went smoothly in just about every sense. Did a couple of unpaved notch/pass/gaps, a couple paved. Consumed a shameful amount of Dunkin’ Donuts food and coffee.
Notable highlights: Saw a mama + baby bear cross the road at night. Watched a pony + miniature horse frolic in a meadow. Hung out for almost 2h in a laundromat at 3am.

[/quote]

Are you really doing ~400k with only those little handlebar bags? Seems like not enough room for food

As I’m increasing my mileage trying to figure out food intake and for ~100k i’m consuming 4 @ 21oz water, snickers, banana, apple, croissant

Website claims 1" threadless fork…why?

The bike is going to be 1" cuz heineylugs, and some people want to run threadless, and with a simple shim you can run any modern stem, or you can go bluelug with this one:

The overlap between people interested in purchasing rando-themed bikes and accessories and those with any real interest in riding an actual brevet is pretty tiny.[/quote]
Even in Seattle there’s been a very slow conversion of existing Randos to Heiney setups

and even fewer of the people that join up that way do more than a single 200k

You have to stop for controls anyway (carrying more shit is generally a distraction)

also you get even more max&relax time for real meals on a Fleché where you have 24h to burn as a team

I do almost all my 400+600k brevets on a plain road bike with a small jandd framebag and one feedbag

[quote=JUGE FREDD][
Even in Seattle there’s been a very slow conversion of existing Randos to Heiney setups
and even fewer of the people that join up that way do more than a single 200k[/quote]

there was a joke a few of us told to each other about how vc would say they were “the rando shop” and would spout the bq “fat tires faster!” verbiage but nobody actually rode fat tires in the rando club and nobody at the rando shop was an actual randonneur. and how vc got a bunch of backlash after spamming up the circa-90s email list with their sales and shit. kind of exactly what norther has done but has tempered recently.

[quote=JUGE FREDD]
I do almost all my 400+600k brevets on a plain road bike with a small jandd framebag and one feedbag[/quote]
the longer i do this the more i want a plain old light road bike with this stuff. basically enough for emergency food and tools because you’ve not ever really that far away.

This doesn’t bother me. Other than the difficulty finding 1" needle bearing headsets (which may or may not concern you), there’s no real downside other than requiring a shim to use most off-the-shelf stems, but it allows you to use some more precious lugs and saves you a bit of weight.

:bear:

Threaded

Upgrade

:colbert:

[quote=cheese]I really want to like those, and I like a lot of the details, but cantis? And this saddle position on a straight chairpole:

I can follow the logic behind it and the owner writes like a DICKIW, but I don’t claim to ride bikes.[/quote]WTF? Too long of a tt?

[quote=NOVELTYNAME]Threaded

Upgrade

:colbert:[/quote]

I thought they should have called it an upcharge and charged twice that.

This doesn’t bother me. Other than the difficulty finding 1" needle bearing headsets (which may or may not concern you), there’s no real downside other than requiring a shim to use most off-the-shelf stems, but it allows you to use some more precious lugs and saves you a bit of weight.[/quote]

I don’t know much about Heine planing bikes, so this is a genuine layperson’s question: could you just use a 1.125 compatible headtube and headset, and then just use skinny thinwalled flexitubes for the rest of the frame and fork? Does that kill the vibe or something?

the rsogn is like that. non OS main triangle and 1.125 steerer, TT/HT junction is a bit ‘broom in a barrel’ looking as a result. a 1" HT, even with a shimmed alloy 1.125 stem would be more a e s t h e t i c

Yeah, for looks no doubt harmonizing all that stuff, and probably using a quill stem is the way to go.

The size mismatch thing repeats itself with “normal” diamater tube steel frames with an OS ht. My Saila looks a little funny, 44mm x 220mm tallboy looking ht with some 28.6/31.8 tubes coming out of it.

It’s 1/8" bigger, so not that much. 1" is lighter. Seriously, that’s the least important thing to get mad about on that bike.

Cantis?!?!?!? in 2018?!?!?!?

:colbert:

It’s also totally possibly that, since he primarily makes quill-stem bikes, Jeff Lyon’s fork jig is an older one intended for 1" steerers.

You have to stop for controls anyway (carrying more shit is generally a distraction)

also you get even more max&relax time for real meals on a Fleché where you have 24h to burn as a team

I do almost all my 400+600k brevets on a plain road bike with a small jandd framebag and one feedbag[/quote]

True on all that stuff. What isn’t visible in the photo was a bunch of other bags. In total I used Jandd frame + handlebar bags, and a dry bag tied to my saddle. Needed all the volume for a 30–75ºf range, also additional bibs for my 200k ride home.

This is how the pros do it:

I once (like 2 weeks ago) rode from my apartment to the train station (about 8 miles), got on the train to head upstate, and rode the train for a half hour or so before realizing my bibs were on inside out.