I want some Ksyriums for my road bike

are they moar better than easton ea90 SL?

I like these. Too bad they aren’t mine :frowning:

[quote=“frankstoneline”][quote=“zombie”][quote=“CheshireKat”]

open pros to ultegra hubs? I have a hard time believing I’ll like them.[/quote]

Hahah. What a dummy.[/quote]

he’s concerned he will actually have to ride, or maybe even go sort of fast cause they dont look fast enough. if he had ksyriums, he would look fast enough that people wouldnt question it.[/quote]

exactly.
victory by intimidation and the awfully raucous chukachukachukachuka sound of ksyriums coasting will send squirrels cowering in fear.

Here’s a starting point. I can’t find the one that tests it against a traditionally spoked wheel, but I believe that a deep-profile American Classic set with a radial front and a three-cross rear beat a whole bunch of expensive wheels, including the Ksyriums. To be clear, I didn’t mean that all traditional wheels did better, but some good ones did.

Edit- Oh, it’s right there in the test. American Classic 420s.

[quote=“CheshireKat”]are they moar better than easton ea90 SL?

I like these. Too bad they aren’t mine :([/quote]

Easton EA90s are pretty great wheels, by most reports, and if you’re lucky you can catch them on Chainlove for cheap.

So, on this subject. I’m gonna have some money soon and I need a road wheelset. Are those Forte Titan wheels complete shit? Should I hold out for something better used? Anyone have a nice older set sitting around?

I would get something awesome but lack of funds sucks. I would say I will spend $150-ish tops at the moment.

[quote=“barba”]
355 grams of rotational weight is the kind of thing roadies get mad about, halbrit. They will spend a lot more for a lot less, silly as it seems.[/quote]

Agreed that 355 grams is not insignificant for some. I was just curious about the weight/cost difference, so I looked it up and posted.

Here’s a starting point. I can’t find the one that tests it against a traditionally spoked wheel, but I believe that a deep-profile American Classic set with a radial front and a three-cross rear beat a whole bunch of expensive wheels, including the Ksyriums. To be clear, I didn’t mean that all traditional wheels did better, but some good ones did.

Edit- Oh, it’s right there in the test. American Classic 420s.[/quote]

Sweet. I wish they would have done a 32h box rim for a control, though. To see the real watt savings over say, an OP to DA wheel.

Well, the fact is no one is using box section rims anymore, unless they’re racing on cobbles. I doubt the readers of that test are very interested; even if they own OP to DA wheels (and every roadie rides something similar), they’re just “training wheels.”

That’s what I’m saying though - the benefit a race wheelset gives in watts saved vs. a training wheelset like OP to DA.

Mavic wheels are terrible, a true crime against humanity.

Mavic rims are nice.

32h Open Pros or Velocity Aeroheads laced to Dura-Ace/Ultegra/Chorus hubs and you are laughing.

I have 32h Chorus hubs laced to Velocity Deep-Vs and they are incredible. Best wheels I have ever owned. 10000 times better than the Kyririum Elites I was riding before them. And they were one third of the price of Kysirium SLs.

There are quite a few aftermarket options for light hubs these days if you are willing to pay. Tune hubs, White Industries hubs, and Niobium rims are apparently popular with the weight weenie crowd.

But definitely go with a hand built wheel so you can swing by the bike shop to replace a spoke. Read all the stories about trying to get a Mavic replacement spoke for one of their “wheel-system” wheels ala Kysrium, Aksium, etc.

Yeah, I’ve seen enough bullshit with proprietary spokes from various manufacturers to turn me off anything but J-bend spokes forever.

Why would get Ksyriums and take the stickers off? That’s crazy! That’s half of what you pay for!

I just posted this over in marketplace:

http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?main ... ts_id=6039

Ben’s is selling Ultegra/ Aeroheads for $175.
Not what the OP is looking for, but a damn nice wheelset for everyone else.

(I ride older Dura Ace front/ Ultegra rear/ Open pros, from when Performance had 'em cheap.)

That is a good deal. Too bad they are out already. I had my credit card ready to go.

I forgot they keep listing stuff when it’s out of stock. Oops.